Antique blue and white platter

Started by Stan, Sep 26, 2014, 04:01:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I won this at the local auction last night, there was 4 large Chinese platter all sold together, this is one of them, two of the platers are in my books on Canton blue, however this platter is in my book but it has a deferent decoration but the same blue is used, the blue color in these photos show a cobalt blue in some areas,  that is not the true color, it is just the way the lighting is, it is very sunny out side and this color is really hard to capture, I take darker pictures because it is more true to the color, not a blue blue cobalt, but more purple, I believe that this is from the Qianlong period, but I am not sure, the ones in my book that has the same shape, size and color blue is from the Qianlong period. Please let me know if you think it is from that period, thanks, I will inclose 16 photos for viewing.

Stan

Last set of photos, thank for your expert opinion.

peterp

Yes, Stan, this is Qianlong. The bottom confirms this.
However, not sure if it is Canton ware. To me this looks more like Jingdezhen quality.
Maybe you could upload a picture of the rim decoration of the others.

Stan

Hi Peter, thank you for letting me the period and that it is Jingdezhen, the other three pieces are completely deferent and I will post them on another post with detailed pictures of the rim, is that what you are asking or are you asking for more pictures of the rim on this platter, I will include pictures of the rim of this service platter  incase that is what you meant, thank again Peter.
Peter the other three pieces, two are blue canton and the other is a large dish, that I am not sure if it is Chinese or Japanese, I will post them separately, thanks again.

peterp

It *could* be JDZ made... we can never be completely sure. The rim decoration is one of the crucial points of identification, but sometimes it is ambiguous, when it is not *typical*.
I suspect that if a foreign client would have taken a sample plate from JDZ to the canton factories, they would have painted them more or less the same.
The other factor I know of is the quality of the painted decoration.

Stan

A couple of things that I noticed about this platter from the canton platters is that this one is heavier than the Canton and it looks like they put marks in the porcelain before they painted for the painting of the decoration.

peterp

What kind of mark? Can see nothing in the pictures, but if it should look as if small holes were pricked into the base material, for the lines etc., then this would be right for Qianlong and JDZ.

Stan

That is what it looks like small holes pricked into the base material following the decoration, I will try to get a Picture of that, it is hard to get a picture of the small indented pricks along the decoration.
Peter is that a typical way of marking the the out lines for the painting for Qianlong and JDZ ?

Stan

Also I noticed in the decoration, the tree with ball like decoration, is done in the same style as Qianlong, where you see the blue dots inside the balls, I have only seen that painting style in the Qianlong period, is that correct ?

calder

Hi Stan,Peter would they use these small holes/pricks on their reign marks?
I ask as I have a tea pot with said marks.

Stan

Yes, that is why I asked Peter if it was done in the decoration as well because in the past posts Peter has told me that they marked out the character with little prick marks before drawing it and you can see the prick marks but the prick marks are not visible all the time.

Stan

Looking at the photo you posted Calder the double circle would have been drawn on a potters wheel, there would have been no need to mark thoughs double lines, that looks a little suspicious to me.

peterp

The problem is that this type of Qianlong mark would only have existed in the "early" Qianlong reign, and would probably mean that the item would be imperial. The holes can be imitated too, so a mark with holes does not necessarily mean it is of the period.