A yellow glazed incised dragon saucer-dish; Daoguang seal mark in underglaze blu

Started by Anthony, May 30, 2014, 05:15:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

A yellow glazed incised dragon saucer-dish; Daoguang seal mark in underglaze blue.
I would like to know if this Daoguang dish is from the period. Thank you.

Stan

Hi Anthony, this bowl looks new to me, no age signs and high gloss shine,

Anthony

Hello Stan,

Thank you for your input. This lot was purchased at Christie's New York, Sale 2235, Lot 511, 17 December 2009. The yellow ground saucer dish measures at 6 3/4 inches in diameter.

Anthony

Estimate at $1000-$1500. There were two additional items (Song Dynasty qingbai dish and a Kangxi famille verte bowl) from the same lot. I had a competing bidder. Final realized price at $3250 (including premium).

Stan

Christies usually combines items that are not worth that much, in other word they would not sell for much if sold individually , so they combine them to make it enticing to bidders.

Anthony

Indeed.

According to this forum's policy, we are unable to provide monetary estimate (apology for previous email). For reference of related dish, please see (Christie's New York, Sale 2580, Lot 1517, 13 September 2012).

Anthony

I agree.

Pre-2009, the market with higher expectations / price paid were focused on porcelains made from early Ch'ing Dynasty (???) between Kangxi to Qianlong. Since latter part of 2011, I've noticed higher price paid for works from Jiaqing / Daoguang period. Now at major auctions around the world, we see an increase amount of porcelain wares produced from late Ch'ing Dynasty to Republic. Supply cannot meets demand.

Anthony

Also, at major auction houses (such as Christie's, Sotheby's,  Bonhams), they tend to lower prices to seduce bidders who are looking for bargains. All I want from the lot at that time was the Daoguang dish; but I have to buy three all together. Pre 1980 to early 1990s was expensive for early ceramics, but not anymore. Therefore Christie's added some attractive merchandise to lure buyers.

Stan

Stan

For the record, I thought it was relevant to ask the price that you paid at Christies, you made it sound like they were saying it was of the period, the price they valued it at tells me different. And speaking of the forum rules, I did not see any where that says you can't ask some one what they paid.

Anthony

Every piece of information are available online, thanks to the advanced technology. I have copied a link for you to view:
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/two-chinese-porcelain-vessels-5276803-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5276803&sid=6d7054dd-0efb-41bb-8f93-0f88e3788e45