A yellow glazed incised dragon saucer-dish; Daoguang seal mark in underglaze blu

Started by Anthony, May 30, 2014, 05:15:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Thanks for that link, That is amazing that all three pieces, they say, are of the period and yet thats all that it sold for, I think the bidders had more knowledge than the appraisers at that time.

Anthony

Even at $4000 was considered a bargain. A similar Daoguang dish is currently valued between US$6000 to $8000. Knowledge is powerful. Auction houses are mediums between sellers and buyers. They care as long as it sells. Future forecast is a risk though. It may not be popular at this moment; but might be in the future. It is worth collecting as long as it is genuine, beautiful. I saw it, I like it and I take it. Only time tells if it is worth the wait.

Stan, I would like to upload pictures to share with everyone and have difficulty, would you report it to the administrator of this site. Thank you.

Stan

Anthony, maybe its just the small photo you posted but look at the bottom unglazed part of the foot, the porcelain is dense and there appears to be no rust spots, the porcelain from that period was not as dense, and a dish that is over 150 years old would have rust spots, wouldn't it?

Anthony

There are several rust spots of different sizes on the glazed portion of the dish, but not on the unglazed area. Porcelain from pre-Kangxi were dense. Technology of making it lighter after Kangxi. It's easier to make dense / thick porcelain; while lighter and translucent porcelains are challenge. Strict guidance made for imperial use.
For reference, please visit the following link:
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-fine-pair-of-incised-imperial-yellow-glazed-5633515-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5633515&sid=a57bc738-4c07-4806-a22c-7c400a20c506

Anthony

The one that I have is translucent under light where I can see my fingers moving and weighs lighter compare to porcelain of similar size & proportion produced in Ming Dynasty and early Kangxi.