Republic period

Started by Stan, May 15, 2014, 04:31:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter and all, I noticed that on Christies auction website past lots that they are dating early republic 1900 to 1912 and  republic 1912 to 1949, I was amazed to see republic period porcelain selling for a lot of money.

peterp

I guess all international auction houses feel a drought, caused by antiques being bought up by Chinese buyers and not coming out of China again. They cannot send items to auctions abroad anymore, due to the strict export regultions.
In China's local auctions also increasingly 20th century quality items are being sold as such.
Domestically, Chinese collectors in general already collect porcelain from the second quarter of the 20th century, and even later, if something is rare. That is probably due to the lack of real antiques that could satisfy demand.

T. Chan

I would like to add another question, is this also true for ceramics made in 20th c but with early Qing or Ming marks? Lets say, the item is rare too? Or has to be with Republic mark or the potter mark? Thanks.

Stan

Hi T Chan, spurious marks have been used for hundreds of years and are still being used today, so yes they have been using spurious marks through out Chinese history.

peterp

I think a 20th century item is more acceptable/collectable if it has a 20th century (period) mark or no mark, than if it had a spurious mark from the Qing or an earlier dynasty. The latter would be closer to a fake.

Normally, I think the kiln or painter of an item should be known to be able to be auctioned for a reasonable price. Personally, I would not buy a 20th century item just because it looks nice.
If I wanted that, I just could go to one of the jade markets here. They sell new items of excellent quality, comparable to imperial ware, but they are not collectible per se. Mostly, the porcelain or painter is well known for some reason; only that way will there be sufficient demand. It may be  different elsewhere.
So, it is not that just anything 20th century is now sellable for a good price at auctions.
For example, an item from one of the "Eight Friends of Zhushan", which is from the 20th century would bring a good result, but an item from just any porcelain factory or kiln not. An "exceptional" item is required.