Zhengde Bowl?

Started by GerryG, May 15, 2014, 19:42:53

Previous topic - Next topic

GerryG

Zhengde Bowl with shop mark or later copy?

Thanks Gerry

peterp

This appears to be copying Qing dynasty decorations, but everything does not look like the natural hand-painting that we should expect. The mark looks stiff, as if made with a drawing tool.
This could possibly be a fake.

GerryG

Hi Peter, I can relate to your observations. Certainly I am a bit concerned with the glaze and it seems some what too glassy from my liking. The fret work decoration on the inside of the rim and the shape is typical of the period. Why put a shop mark on a fake piece trying to be Zhengde or late Ming when you could put an appropriate spurious reign mark? There's no doubt this bowl has age but from what period I'm still not too sure. Tks Gerry

Stan

Hi GerryG, here is an antique bowl, with age signs.

Stan

Any thing that can make money is bing copied, I used to see these bowl around from time to time at antique shows, but now I don't, as Peter said in another blog, antiques are becoming scarce because the Chinese are buying them up and not exporting them anymore, and that is making it difficult to by Chinese antique porcelain, that is why even the Mid 20th century and later if rare is becoming quite valuable.