Korean? Celadon Dishes

Started by kardinalisimo, Nov 30, 2014, 23:43:49

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

I think they are Korean but could be wrong.
There are two sets with two plates in each. Interesting that the smaller plates of each set have different green and spirals on the bases.
There are quite of few impurities, glaze and firing flaws but not sure if there is any significant age or the pieces are more recent.
I don't find brown paint on the foot rims when I google antique Korean celadon ware. Is that a sign of being newer?
Thanks

peterp

I would look at Sawankhalok and other ancient Thai wares. Not the later 18th and 19th century wares, but those from half a millenium or more ago.

kardinalisimo

Thanks Peter, I will look into that.
Meanwhile, they are possibly a more recent variant of Korean Bun-cheong ware. Seems like the chrysanthemum pattern was common on them.  Maybe the dots like are simplified rope curtain pattern. From what I am learning Buncheong used white slip under the glaze but not sure if that is the case here.
If it was not the glazed bottom and painted foot rims I would think they are much older.

www.korean-arts.com/about/bun-cheong_the_lost_art.htm

peterp

Whatever it is, I would be careful with this ware. Did you note the gloss of the glaze inside the foot rim, and the relatively dull surfaces on the rest?

kardinalisimo

I did not pay attention to that. What is a glossy bottom and dull glazed body supposed to mean? Like they made it look dull on purpose so it appears older? If so, why not do the same with the rest?

peterp

Yes, that "could" be. Many copies are discovered because details were not paid attention to.

Stan

Dishes that are hundreds of years old would have a lot of ware marks, scratches, dull finish and the finish glaze would be consistent through out, any part that would be high gloss should raise a red flag, I bought 3 Celadon dishes on ebay not to long ago, they turned out to be fake, I sent them back, they did not have the usual ware marks, the scratches that would be on a real antique, unfortunately they can imitate the scratches also, only a trained eye can tell if the scratches were put on in one setting or over hundreds of years of use, these dishes do not look very old from what I can see.

Stan

By the way, they have additives now that they can put in the glaze before firing that can imitate any gloss they choose.

kardinalisimo

Thanks Peter and Stan.
Actually I did not expect them to be very old. Got the 4 for $10 so thought the price was good for study pieces.

Stan

You can't go wrong for $10.00 I paid a lot more for the ones I returned.