asian porcelain left to me and know nothing about...please help

Started by spentoken55, Oct 07, 2014, 04:55:20

Previous topic - Next topic

spentoken55

hi, i have been left by my gran some chines or japanese(asian) antiques and i know nothing about them.
could some one please tell me anything about them..ie..age/what they are called,anything would be helpfull

many thanks lee

Stan

A picture of the back is needed, one at an angle so we can see the foot, this is needed to tell the age.

spentoken55

i also have 2 small vases about 3 inches tall and it has these symbols underneath

spentoken55

and this very small teapot with this symbol on inside of lid, sorry my pics are not that great but i am having difficulty getting them under 200kb

spentoken55

spentoken55

Stan

The Plate looks like late 19th century famille rose the other items are Japanese, the photos are to blurry to say one way or the other for age.

peterp

Stan, do you think that the plate could be Japanese?
If there is a back stamp of that type that would be highly unusual for Chinese. Although the decoration looks Chinese, the legs of the stand where the jardiniere is on is also a bit unusual. Not sure...
Basically, the decoration style could be Chinese, but the shape, when looked at sideways is also not showing a typical Chinese or Chinese export shape. What might help to know is whether the top rim is completely level, and the the shape of the foot rim. It would have to be later (20th c.) if it is Chinese, I think.

The only mark of this type I know in Chinese porcelain appears on Ming (imperial) porcelain. But common Japanese porcelain of the 19th century has made use of this.

peterp

The red mark says "Hizen, Arita", plus the company name, but the company name is a bit too abbreviated for reading.

Stan

I thought that the shape of the plate is a bit unusual for chinese, but then I never have seen Japanese decoration in these colors or decoration, I think you are right 20th century, but I could not tell if the mark embossed in the porcelain is on the plate, if it is it is possible that it could be neither Chinese or Japanese but European done with a Chinese motif.

peterp

Chinoiserie...I have considered that possibility too. Still, not sure. It would have to be something from Samson or the like. They made top quality imitations.  The plate decoration really resembles Chinese decorations very much.

spentoken55

I know the plate has been in the family for 80+ years. I will try and put btter pics on later. but many thnx for your heloo guys