Pair Jiaqing marked famille rose vases

Started by Stan, Sep 30, 2014, 00:26:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, these came from the same auction as the others, the auctioneer said that this lady that passed on had so much items in her house that you can't even move in the hall ways, and so they are auctioning thing periodically, these vases are mirror images of each other and all hand painted the mark is a Jiaqing under glazed blue, the auctioneer said that they are marked with a Jiaqing mark 1821 to 1850 but he did not say authentic and by the way the bottom is done it looks like early republic, I believe that is when they were doing bottom like this, however the mark looks authentic to me, please let me know how old you think it is and of the overall piece, I am including 14 pictures to view, thank for your help.

Stan

Stan

Last set of photos, thanks for your expert opinion.

peterp

First of all, the colors used, the way the faces are painted, etc. are 20th century. The quality of the other vase you uploaded a few days ago was much better. This appears to be a new fencai decoration.
Did you note that the foot rim has the color that many fakes have?
My approach to this type of thing is that it is only collectible if there is handwritten text and a date, or if for some reason it is known that it was painted by one of the early, well-known painters. There are just too many copies of this type out there.

Stan

Thanks peter, I suppose thats why I got them for so cheap at the auction.