Republic bowl

Started by calder, Sep 15, 2014, 01:23:43

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

Hi this bowl would seem to be Republic period but what does the poem refer to?
Thoughts?

calder

Stan

The decoration looks modern to me, not traditional.

shelley Kong

They look like copies

calder

Thank you Shelly & Stan for your time.
Does the writing tell us anything? artist? Date?
Thank you again.

Stan

Shelly or Peter can answer that one, my Chinese is limited to my books on marks sorry Calder.

peterp

The mark is a Yongzheng mark. The writing is just poetry. The only that could hint to the artist are the seals, but I would not think this is reliable either. Seals are easily faked.
Take it as a modern, good quality imitation!

calder

Thank you Peter & Stan.

calder

Hi obviously the bowl is new;but if people are interested-the decoration is in a collective term called falangcai.
Sight below if interested in other items under the same banner.

http://www.npm.gov.tw/exh101/yongzheng/en/ch02.html

Stan

Looks like a good site Calder.

peterp

While not excluding the possibility entirely, you cannot conclude from the look alone that something is falangcai. The only way you could be fairly sure is if it was imperial ware. Because in the Qing dynasty this type of decoration would have been made within the palace workshop only.
Any later object could use another decoration method. That would be especially likely because the original falangcai decorating method seems to have been complicated,. If it is more recent, it is possible that a simpler decoration method was used to obtain a similar decoration effect. Newer techniques may make that possible.

BTW, I would not dare to tell from pictures of an item alone whether it is really falangcai; that would need a hands-on inspection, and even with that it may be difficult, as relatively few such items were made.

Stan

I agree with Peter, even in books you can't rely solely on their information, I was reading one of my books on Japanese antique porcelain and came across something that I new was not true, from an older book, even on prices they are not always right, I have been collecting curtain oil paintings by a well known artist that is still living in California, years ago one of his paintings came up for auction here in Oregon, I bought it for $130.00 no one here knew who he is and that same painting still shows up that is sold for $130.00 his paintings sell in the thousands, go figure.