12 inch blossom plate

Started by Qst42know, Sep 09, 2014, 22:07:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Qst42know

I am trying to figure the age on this piece. It has some kiln sand and all hand painted but no marks.

Qst42know

peterp

If it is Chinese, then it is probably 19th century.  It is difficult to see the height of the foot rim clearly. The rim is fairly broad, but this could be because it is a charger.
Generally, I side view should be provided. The shape of plate rim and foot rim is sometimes the only difference visible between a Chinese and a Japanese copy of an item.

Qst42know

It measures 8mm inside and roughly the same outside. Outside has a bit more of a radius so it is an estimate.

Qst42know

I was looking at this charger some more and in several places extra bits of material stuck in the glaze had been chiseled off.

Is this technique significant to any time period or country of origin?

Or is it common to any pottery from anywhere?

Stan

This is one of the sloppiest plum blossom decorations that I have seen, I have several 19th century pieces and all of them look more like the original ones done in the Kangxi period.
I think it is a fake the sand was added to make it look older, it is more than likely to be a new Chinese knock off.

Qst42know

Fair enough Stan. This purchased cheap from someone who decorated with orental items not a discriminating collector. I look at it as an inexpensive lesson. Thanks Stan.