Chinese Porcelain and vases - Authentic

Started by vaughn2k, Aug 31, 2014, 14:21:18

Previous topic - Next topic

vaughn2k

Hello there!

I am new here.

I just inherited hundreds of Chinese Porcelain and Vases all different kinds. My great great grandfather was a private collector (Datu) here in the Philippines, and the story goes that these Chinese merchants was selling these porcelains, hundreds of years ago, some dated back Ming and Ying-Lo Dynasty (as I was told, I have no idea about that). But I have seen people selling this of up to whopping millions of pounds.

I was wondering if these are worth of fortunes. Yet to seek some experts for dating analysis or material analysis?

Anyone have some idea, where should I go to check these out?

Have gone into eBay, and people there are telling me, that eBay is now flooded with fakes and reproductions. I beleive mine are not, the reason I want to go for any analysis available to prove it's authenticity.

Thank you for your help.
I have compiled all the picture/s on this site (Photobucket).
s298.photobucket.com/user/vaughn2k/slideshow/Chinese%20Arts

earlyblue

Hi V2k,

Sadly, the story you were told . . . was just a story.  What a treasure trove you would have if these were authentic.  I went through all of your photos and 95% of what I saw I am 100% sure are fake/repros.  The other 5% are suspect because of the 95% bad ones.  If you go down to the Mabini street shops . . . you will see unethical dealers who will happily sell you their similar fakes on display as authentic if you don't know the difference.  Don't spend any money on analysis . . . it is not necessary.  Sorry to break the bad news.  :(

Stan

I agree with early blue but I was waiting for Peter to confirm my suspicion.

peterp

I confirm the impression of earlyblue.
There are also a few that might deserve further inspection. Unfortunately the majority may be bad eggs, as always when many rare or top level items are present in the same place.
There are some very obvious and some less obvious fakes.

vaughn2k

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.
three months ago, we sold two pcs at Sothesby, total cost around U$1,800.00 - U$900.00 each item, both different from each other. Now they're back, and I am not selling on that price anymore, I think it may worth more than that.

I would like to know what are the test needed to confirm authenticity. Can you tell by just looking into it?

Anything like books or something that can be checked before I go for material analysis?

I would really like to proceed on the next level on this. Maybe it does not worth something, but on the other hand, who knows?

Thanks.

peterp

Really? I heard that Sothebys only accepts items estimated at 3000 pounds or over?

vaughn2k

3000pounds! Unbelieveable.. so was a good decision to hold on to these items..

So anyway, any idea how to test this, and probably make a good fortune out of it?

Stan

Send pictures to Christies auction and they will tell you if any of your items are worthy of their auction.