small blue and white bottle flask.

Started by Stan, Aug 30, 2014, 08:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, Im not sure what this is, its to small to be a flask or a tea caddy so I'm not sure what you call it, maybe a small lidded bottle, it is 13.3 cm tall and 8.5 cm length and 3.4 cm wide, this is one of the items that I purchased from a collector, please let know what you think, thanks.

Stan

Here are more photos, and will send more.

Stan

peterp

Tea caddy, 18th century, typical export porcelain.

Stan

Peter the collector that I purchased this from said that this was one of the pieces that he really did not want to sell, I bought it because it is complete, it is rare to find one with the lid, but on this tea caddy, BTW, thank you for letting me know what it is,  the porcelain seems to be high quality and the rust spots can only be seen with a loop and there is two distinct blue colors used, under a loop, one is almost a cobalt blue and the other like a grayish blue, is that a typical color combination for 18th century?

Stan

I was just wondering, at first that is what I thought, a tea caddy but this is not like other tea caddies that I have seen or like the ones that I have and have seen, they have much bigger top openings than this one, the opening on this tea caddy is 0.76 cm that seems small for tea, unless it is ground up, the tea caddy it self feels heavy for something this small and when I shine a light on the side you can barely see the light shining through, it is heavily potted for something so small.

peterp

That explains the somewhat unusual neck. These items were made as tea caddies, but if one was made or ordered in a different way, or for a different purpose, we have no way to know.

Stan

tonny joeswanto

I agree with Mr Peterp, it made for other perposes that tea.

I also have like Mr Stan flask. But it's slindrical without cover.

The dimension 5 cms/H and 4 cm/D

Stan

I Tonny, nice blue and white tea jar or tea caddy, blue and white is my favorite, it is what I started out collecting many years ago, and I still like it best.