Bowl of Ru Kiln

Started by john8888, May 08, 2024, 09:37:36

Previous topic - Next topic

john8888

Please help me.
There is almost impossible that we have a Ru kiln of Song dynasty today. But I show many pitting over the surface of the bowl which tell us it is older ceramic. I put it under microscopy that shows pictures of dead bubbles with dirty near the open kicks which also tell this bowl has good ages. 

peterp

Ru? 
Most people when they are talking of Ru ware they mean the kiln that made wares for the imperial court. 
Those who talk, think or believe they are having a chance of finding one plenty. Many new collectors are having illusions in this direction. 

The number of (recognized as genuine) imperial Ru wares at the time this site or the ebook was made was only 63 or 65, if I remember right. Of these the most (20+) were in the National Palace Museum Taipei, the Palace Museum Beijing, etc., all in known museums. About ten were in collectors' hands. And this with millions of collectors out there. How good are a new collectors chance of getting one? If any of the privately owned ones comes up for sale, it usually fetches millions in major auction houses.

As to the current bowl, as I already mentioned elsewhere, pitting is something specifically to certain glazes, namely Jun glazes, and this cannot be applied to any other. 
Further, also already mentioned before, bubbles do exist in all glazes. There existence is no sign or proof of age. I believe the fakers are now able to reproduce different sized of bubbles too. This is only a problem of cost. Bubbles which are from the 20th century may have only small bubbles that are uniform in size. That is all the presence of bubbles can tell. Bubbles with age signs are another matter.
The engraving of this bowl was made using an electric rotary engraving tool, not with hand tools. So it must be fromhe 20th century or later. Hand carved writing on a glaze is difficult to make and looks completely different.

john8888

You said it must be fromhe 20th century or later, then I have difficulty to explaining why there are many dead bubbles along with kicks?
I knew bobbles tell us nothing regarding the age, but the dead bubbles must older than a few hundreds years. Are I right? If this is a product of 20th century, there will be no dead bubbles!

peterp

"kicks" ? I assume you mean glaze crackles? These are present with many porcelain items when the item comes out of the kiln. What make them visible or may be "age" crackles is often just the discoloration of these by dirt or other environmental substances, that enter crackles over time. But, this can also be created artificially.

Your picture shows bubbles, but not a single dead bubble. Dead bubbles are usually a very dark brown or even black. The lightly off-white color of the big bubbles may be from the light and/or the glaze projected into the empty bubbles.