Antique Japanese Teapot?

Started by Kaaren B., Apr 08, 2024, 02:01:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaren B.

Hello. Can anyone identify the three-character mark on an old teapot I picked up at an estate sale today? I know the top character means Great Nippon, but am unsure of the other mark.  Thank you! Kaaren

peterp

??  The first character just means "great, big or large', the other two actually mean Japan. So this is one mark meaning Japajn with three characters, nothing else.

Stan

Hi Kaaren, Usually you would see Great Japan, which is on your teapot, but it would have other marks usually with the makers mark or potters mark as well, Could you post a picture of the teapot to see if it fits with the period of the mark "Meiji period", I have never seen just these marks alone, thanks.

Kaaren B.

Thanks, I suspected that those three characters meant "Great Japan Made" but there really aren't any other marks. The teapot appears to be very old, and I tried to get a photo up, but no matter what I did, couldn't get it down to 1.5. I'll try again. It's white background with scenes painted on it. Very pretty. Wear to paint on the rims of the lid. Otherwise in remarkable shape. I wondered if old Kutani, their less traditional red/gold stuff? I'll try again with the teapot. Kaaren

Kaaren B.

Here is a photo of the teapot, it's the best I could do. Kaaren

Stan

Thanks Kaaren for the picture of the teapot, with the colors used I would say that this is  early Showa period, the mark is hand painted, I did find several similar marks, I like the bamboo handle, nice teapot.

Adriano

According to Gotheborg site, good reference I think, this mark has been used during the Meiji period, but also up to 1930s.
This is another source that confirms the early Showa period indicated by Stan.
https://gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml
This mark, especially in the printed version, seems that has been used without company name.
As far as I know, Japanese porcelains do not use  apocryphal marks, as Chinese do, so I think that the mark is a good starting point for dating.
On this point I would like to have comments from experts.

Stan

The mark reads " Great Japan, as Peter stated " not Great Japan made, the last two characters read Nippon meaning Japan, Adriano is right, this mark was used in the Meiji period and the Taisho and Showa periods, the reason I think it is of the later Period is the colors are Chemical colors not used in the earlier periods also the figures point to later as well.

Kaaren B.

Thank you all for your information, and for taking the time to look at this. Kaaren