Is this Tang Dynasty ceramic with cobalt jar?

Started by hertzyinmn, Mar 30, 2024, 07:34:05

Previous topic - Next topic

hertzyinmn

Hello, I have a small jar I was wondering the age of this as I can not make out the stamps on the bottom, I believe this may have been a burial jar. It is roughly 6" and glazed with splash type images of trees and river etc. it seems there is a layer of crust dirt or something and wondered if its ok to clean everything so the images look nicer. Well I am having tough time with any help with this so any comments appreciated . I attached a clip of some recent finds from Thanks 

peterp

This cannot be Tang dynasty. Such blue-white decorations appeared only hundreds of years after that.
The jar shape could probably at the best be about Qing dynasty, but glazed necks may not have appeared before the very late Qing dynasty, but that may depend on the size and purpose of the jar.
I would try to scratch the white matter on the shoulder with a sharp blade. If it is easily scratched then it is paint.
The base looks odd. Such round items would have been thrown on a wheel, but the rough bottom surface, the nipple in the center, and the foot rim look more as if the bottom was made in a mould, which would point to the 20th century. You can try and see if it is possible to wash the dry soil away.
BTW, if something was in the soil that does not necessarily mean it is burial ware. In the Qing dynasty such items were often used for storing things.

hertzyinmn

Thanks, well to diasagree these are some shards found at the Baihne Kiln site or Gonyi Kiln site in 2008 Archeological study.This is proported to be the earliest use of cobalt on earthenware .  The motif of cobalt looks quite similar as they could not control the blue well . My thought . As for being hand turned see the pics it is not molded . The Center spot i believe is a fire mount wad of clay for firing ? thanks 

hertzyinmn

I think you are correct, I photo image the top edge looks to be earhenware unglazed down over the edge. It seems to be a green ish paint or tan . Can scratch paint easily on the areas of glaze. I photo a better pic of bottom edge. Thanks for all information . I really appreciate to find where or when this couls be made. 

peterp

I know of only two instances of blue / white porcelain found in the Tang dynasty. One was the Belitung wreck, the other in the cellar of a destroyed tower or pagoda of a temple, if I remember right.

This item would do Gongyi kiln no justice, I think. I happen to own a small Gongyi kiln white jar with typical lugs of that kiln and period. The bottom is flat but has an indent in the center, and the glaze is not going down to the bottom. So yes, probably not from there.