Thai Celadon Mengrai Kilns?

Started by Kaaren B., Mar 15, 2024, 23:26:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaren B.

Hello! I have not been here since October, but just picked this up in a consignment shop. I believe this to be Thai, not Chinese celadon? The best I could do researching the mark, which has no English, is the Mengrai kilns. It is very lovely and in perfect condition, with a beautiful crackle glaze. I assumed it was vintage not antique. Can anyone help with the mark or other info? Many thanks! Kaaren

Stan

Hi Kaaren B. Im sorry but I do not know much about Thai items, Maybe someone more experienced will answer your questions.

peterp

Did you look into this site?
https://www.seaceramic.org.sg/resources/the-ceramics-of-southeast-asia/thai-ceramics/

They may be able to point you to the right resources.

Kaaren B.

Apologies for the later Thank You! I will give it a try. KB

peterp

Sorry for being unable to help.
You could also check www.mingwrecks.com has information. Their work includes some information on Thai kilns too.

Kaaren B.

An update to this query of several months ago: I found the Mingrai kilns in Thailand, still in operation, who do tons of celadon, and this is indeed their mark. This bowl is typical of their work, and I saw it elsewhere on offer in blue. I prefer the celadon - it's, er, classier, in my opinion. Cheers, Kaaren

peterp

Hi Kaaren, 
If you have/find any website URL showing a number of such items (celadon), modern or old  please post it.
Personally, I have an interest in knowing about SE Asian celadons as every now and then I get asked about items that do not seem to be Chinese. I know too little about celadons make outside three Far Eastern countries.

Kaaren B.

Sorry, Stan, I did not realize there was another reply from you on this.

Mingrai has an extensive web site and does other pottery besides celadon. I didn't go much beyond identifying the mark.

I didn't realize celadon could come in so many shades. I bought this bowl because I liked its unfussy design.

https://mengraikilns.com/aboutus.asp?lan=eng

They are very well known in Thailand.

I should add that in the same shop in which I got the Kinkozan bowl (I drop in there once a month), I once saw a more classic jade color celadon lidded bowl, lotus top on the lid, with a tag that claimed it was Longquan, but with no marks, not even the later ones, and without a single sign of age.

It was very pretty but they wanted $60 for it and I demurred. I hope it wasn't Longquan . . . :)