Please help me identify this marking and time period

Started by Al.hoerl, Mar 07, 2024, 04:43:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Al.hoerl

The Metal handle is detachable. Size 2 inches tall with metal handle and about 4 inches wide. The flowers look like they are hand painted with glaze. I'm wondering if it is worth getting appraised as I would love to sell it.

Stan

The red mark is a Qianlong honorary mark made in the 2nd half of the 20th century, if you notice everything is out lined in black, traditionally the red colors would have been out lined in red or orange.

Al.hoerl

So you're saying it's probably not worth much? I've been trying to find anything similar to it for months and can't! The metal handle seems pretty worn like it's really old. I helped with "my old lady friend" neighbor (that's what I called her) and helped move her stuff out of her house. She loved tea! I'll keep it if I can't get much out of it but I just lost my job... so I was hoping for a miracle.

Adriano

In addition I would like to say that the bowl is decorated in the millefleur pattern.
As far as I know this style has been used since late 19 century up today, with different painting quality.
For who is interested there is an article here:
watersilkdragon.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/10-chinese-millefleur-teabowls-%e4%b8%ad%e5%9b%bd%e5%8d%81%e5%a4%a7%e7%b1%b3%e5%b0%94%e8%8a%99%e8%93%89%e8%8c%b6%e7%a2%97/

peterp

Actually, the Millefleur or Mille Fiori pattern has been used since the early 19th century, or even the Qianlong reign, but there are few of those.
Some differences: Those from the late Qing dynasty usually do not have a black background but it is gilt or similar, IF there is any background visible at all. Two similar sounding names in Chinese mean "the hundred flowers do not show the ground" (百花不露地)  and "the hundred flowers do not fall on the ground" (百花部落地). These mean that the blossoms or flowers cover the ground or fall on other petals, respectively, which in turn indicates that the ground is not visible.

This pattern got popular only in the late Qing dynasty or early 20th century, predominantly in the west, it seems. That means it was mostly made for export from or after the early 20th century. It is more common in the west than in China.

Adriano