a celadon jar with dark color of fired rim, middle Qing period JingDeZhen ware?

Started by ssd, Dec 13, 2023, 13:22:22

Previous topic - Next topic

ssd

I bought this lately, I thought it's a Qing celadon/DouQing Jar made in Jingdezhen. But I just found your website and read one of your notice about dark color of the fired rim may indicate a fake. yes inside it's white.:-) pls see if this one is real middle Qing Ware? Thank you very much! I am new comer here, really grateful find this site. I think I can learn a lot from here, Thanks!

peterp

This is probably not straightforward as it may seem.
The inside of the jar neck looks as if they are some usage signs, on so does the bottom, inside. What is perplexing is the foot rim. What is that black matter on the foot rim for? Was that fired in the kiln. The strange thing is that at its edge a brownish color is visible below the black matter, but the chip in the black area reveals a white or light gray clay below. Why should the dark colors be there? The color of the top rim would show anyway that there is no dark clay inside. If it were dark, that would be visible as the glaze is somewhat translucent.

I'm afraid there is no final answer to this. Whether that is from Jingdezhen/Qing dynasty or another place or period is difficult to tell with such an item. It might as well me 20th century or from another kiln. Fakes are made in many places, I'm afraid.

ssd

yes, for this case it's meaningless to paint a dark color on the bottom rim to cover the whiteness of the inside. the question is "is there any other reason to paint something on the rim?" 
there are some real antiques in museums with their bottom rims painted dark color, but I don't know the real reason for that. So this may be a question with no clear answers. If I find some more info. I'll come back here to report.

Attached are some photos of dark rim in museums.

peterp

"is there any other reason to paint something on the rim?"

1. To hide something. Of course fakes are done that way, but I also have heard that a few genuine ones were covered.
2. To hide some material faults like chips, etc.

For the latter frequently also metal rings are used to cover such. I don't think there are any other reasons, but fakers are not always very knowledgeable, otherwise they would not do something like with this item. Some are able to create copies that look very authentic, but many are just producing for the common folks at a lower price and are not into deeper learning, otherwise they would not do such things.

ssd

Thank you!

The only positive explaination is for cosmetics. The best (most famous) longQuan ware was from south Song dynasty, which has iron black foot rim, so in Qing dynasty, to fabricate longquan glaze ware with white earth body, someone paint black/dark on the footrim, to make it more beautiful, to their eyes.;-)

Otherwise, it's only for hiding something...

Best,