A Large Famille Rose Tankard Cup

Started by Stan, Nov 23, 2023, 05:12:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I just purchased this cup, I was told that it is from the Qianlong period, I would like to talk about the purplish red color, is that a Maroon or Mauve color and was that used in the Qianling period, The cup itself is 16.5 cm's tall, Please let me know what you think for age, it looks authentic to me but this it he first Polychrome tankard cup that i have had, the ones I have are blue and white.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here is another picture of the bottom.

peterp

Hi Stan,
This shape is a first for me too. Not sure what color you mean with maroon, that would be brownish, while mauve probably would be a lighter purplish?
I know that crimson appeared only in the Yongzheng reign. And that certain colors were discontinued during the following reigns, temporarily until the late Qing dynasty.

In my view this looks perfect for Qialong, but I would not deny the possibility that it is Yongzheng. After all, the changes of styles were fluid. 18th century should be no problem.
An unglazed bottom was used here because of its firing method, probably. Looks like the bottom got slightly discolored by a tubular firing support in the kiln.
Congratiulations for the find, and it is in excellent shape too!

Stan

Thank you Peter, would you consider this to be a crimson color, and would this have been made in Jingdezhen ?.

peterp

Which one? The roses may be. To be on the safe side I would assume it is Qianlong, but there is no way to be sure unless you find a similar pattern.