Antique Japanese (?) Teapot

Started by Kaaren B., Aug 21, 2023, 04:02:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaren B.

I did not buy this but was given it by a friend who served in the Air Force in Asia (now decased). I have seen similar teapots but not quite with these types of warriors. The moriage is fairly restrained. There is a mark under the lid, which has obviously been repaired once (not by me), but the mark is faded, I am hoping someone who knows more than I do might recognize something. The mark to the right of the character column is extraneous, a smudge. I thought I did see a "tsukuru zo" or similar "made for/in" character and possibly a "great" one, but at 73 my eyes aren't up to it. There is quite a lot of gilt. The bottom is unglazed, and there is no "crackle". Can anyone identify the mark, or take a guess as to age or region? Many thanks, Kaaren

peterp

Looks like Satsuma ware to me, but let's wait for Stan. He has more experience with Japanese ceramics.

Kaaren B.

Thanks, Peter. I wondered, but there's no crackle glaze. I believe the heavier gilt are 22K gold accents, I have seen that on similar teapots. Also, it "pings" like porcelain, too light for earthenware I should think, so more Satsuma style than the real thing. I'll look forward to Stan's reply. KB

Stan

This looks like a High fired porcelain, where as Satsuma is earthenware, the mark is illegible, I believe this would be from 1940's through 1950's

Kaaren B.

Stan

Here is some food for thought, I believe this was stylized after Nishida, a potter in Kyoto, I can see why Peter thought it could be Satsuma, but the bottom and it being made of porcelain puts it at a later date.
BTW, the pictures are still not very clear, in these photo's it almost looks like it could be Lusterware.

Kaaren B.

Oh, sorry, about the photos, I'm not good at it and the 150 limit makes it hard to show detail. I have some lustreware, this is not. The unglazed bottom, marks inside the lid, moriage dusting, are done on matte surface. I have also seen the 22K gold accents on somewhat similar pots. It's also much prettier in person! Just one of those little items one keeps. KB