Hongzhou vase?

Started by jsexton, Jul 30, 2023, 07:16:18

Previous topic - Next topic

jsexton

I picked this up on a whim at an estate sale today. The tag on it is from a defunct antique store, and has Hongzhou hand written. When I look at that style vase online, it doesn't look anything like these, so  I'm thinking the tag was supposed to be on another piece. What do I have here? I don't see any marks. It's about 10.5" high overall. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

gallery of full sized pictures here https://imgur.com/a/aRoVylq

peterp

This is a blue white decorated jar on a "douqing" glaze. Without better pictures it is impossible to tell anything. Please see above the size requirements for pictures and show show the bottom close up. If possible also a picture of the mouth and interior, as well as the underside of the lid.

jsexton

Appreciate the response! There are many better pictures in the linked imgur album, do you need others besides those?

peterp

Thanks, found them. 
Normally I would attribute this to the mid to late Qing dynasty, but the closeup views seem to disagree with this.
The bottom is not looking like that, it is too perfect, and the painting seems to be using a chemical blue pigment, also the filling in of the contours is done a bit careless.
These all point to a later manufacture.
Perhaps late Qing to early republic period at the best, but that is a guess. It could as well be later, but I have not seen yet such items made later in the 20th century. My personal opinion.

jsexton

That's good to know, thanks. I assume that means it's not worth much, probably about the $30 I paid?