1st Post... any idea what this is?

Started by jw2112, Aug 17, 2014, 00:28:48

Previous topic - Next topic

jw2112

Thanks.  I know nothing about Chinese porcelain

Stan

This is a late 20th century famille rose plate.

jw2112

Thanks!  Found it in my attic and had no idea.

peterp

To me this looks like a late Qing to early republic dish (despite the black outlines). I think so because almost no fakes of this are made. Items with this decoration were common In the Guangu period and are still plenty.
Mark is "Made by Chen Yi-xing", a private mark.

Stan

Thanks for that Peter I had no idea that the thicker black lines were 19th century, I thought that the black lines on this looks printed, but it is hard to tell in these photos, Im looking at one thats very similar, it looks old like this one but I assumed that the thicker lines indicated later piece, thanks again.

peterp

I would clarify my dating method...

When I say late Qing, then this can also be early 20th century. Dating according centuries is a western thing, the Chinese are used to date according to reign, or dynasty. I use both methods.
Because the Qing dynasty ended in 1911, late Qing can also mean 1900+ or about a decade more than 19th century. Sometimes we know that decorations are "late" Guangxu, so they are late Qing but not 19th century. I only know that part of this decoration was used in the Tongzhi reign, but probably most widely during the Guangxu reign, which extends to 1908. The decoration was probably still used for a while afterwards, though. These decorations range from the perfect to very crude and ugly; this one is one of the better ones. I associate many of them to 'late' Guangxu, although some are earlier.