Red green dish 2

Started by weip, Apr 03, 2023, 16:48:36

Previous topic - Next topic

weip

This dish has evidently the same decoration as the Zhangzhou (Swatow) phoenix plates. But never saw this in red/green, only as blue-white porcelain. The decoration on the underside looks Japanese, but from when could this be?
Thanks for any comments.

Stan

Hi Weip, this is probably Japanese as you said, especially with the 3 lines around the outside foot, typical of Arita, I could not find any examples like yours in any of my books or on line, I do have some bowls that came from the Hoi an hoard ship wreck, they are Vietnamese from over 500 years ago done in the red and green, perhaps this is a Japanese copy.

Stan

Im not sure about this because I have not seen anything like this in my books on Japanese porcelain, but from what I can see the plate looks like it is perfectly round, not out of round like the old Imari and the foot looks straight, I would say early 20th century.

weip

Thanks Stan, very helpful. I have had this for perhaps ten years and was never sure what to make of it. The brown-red clay is also a bit out of my knowledge range.  :)