Large Bottle vase, Japanese or?

Started by Stan, Apr 02, 2023, 03:51:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi everyone, I have this large bottle vase that has a mark on the bottom, I could not find the mark in my books, I think it is Japanese because the stilt marks on the bottom is typical for Japanese, their is a mark, I am hoping someone can tell me what the mark reads or means, I have never seen a Chinese bottle vase with stilt marks so I am assuming that it is Japanese, Thanks for your help Peter or anyone else.

Stan

Here are two more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are the last of the photo's to view, Thanks for all your help.

peterp

Hi Stan,
Not sure which it is either, but I submit some further considerations. Could be more recent (a few decades) and of Chinese origin. I would call this green rather than celadon, the brown decoration contains eight Buddhist symbols. The brown decoration is imitating the old Fangge (imitation Ge) popular in the later Qing dynasty.
The mark is the character Guan 官, which in Chinese means "official". On Chinese porcelain this would point to the official (imperial) kiln, but it is hardly is of such origin.

I partially agree with your consideration regarding the stilt marks, but are they stilt marks? Did Japanese foot rims have this type of clay color if stilts were used for firing? What I want to say is could the five point be just a part of the marking? And, is the white color of the mark character the unglazed clay? The end of the strokes are round, normally a mark of this type would have been made/scratched by hand carving tool, I suspect. Was the mark engraved in the fired glaze rather than fired that way? (If you enlarge the edges of the mark strokes, does it look as if the glaze was liquefied in the kiln, or more as if it was made with a rotary carving tool?
In other words, taking the above mentioned into consideration, do you think it could be modern Chinese with a fancy mark for decoration only?

Stan

Hi Peter, I was thinking the same thing " Fangge imitation but the stilt marks threw me off, Thank you for the reading, Guan, and you are quite right, hardly imperial, the mark was made before it was fired and you are seeing the color of the porcelain, here is a closer picture.  I bought 3 vases similar in color, all different shapes, and all three have the stilt marks, but this one was the only one marked, I have never seen the Japanese make a bottle vase like this, only the Chinese, it looks like it has some age like you say a few decades at the most, the other 2 look like they could be a little older, I will post them one at a time, thanks again for your expert analysis.