Lots of fakes made in China

Started by peterp, Mar 24, 2023, 14:21:42

Previous topic - Next topic

peterp

Just ignore the Chinese commentator. This short piece at the link below is just showing the lots of mass produced fakes sold in some places on the streets in China. How many of these would you not recognize as a fake if you found one?
tinyurl.com/yymc7jbe

Hmm

Seems to me regarding the fakes that the quality of the painting is just extremely poor with lots of dirt.  Perhaps even poorer than what would be considered poor quality for common people 100 years ago.  I suppose if you just try to get things with good quality paintings, etc. even if fake, if hand painted, perhaps at least 100 years from now the piece would be worth something simply because the quality is good. 

peterp

I would not want to wait 100 years. :-)
What is in the video are just lower quality or common items; imperial quality fakes can also be made, but they are also much more expensive. They can resemble the original antiques to a degree that even museum and auction experts have difficulty recognizing them as such. They will have a high price. Sometimes fakers obtain original clay bricks and materials just to reproduce every tiny detail.

Hmm

I normally assume anything that is imperial quality on the market is a fake, and probably wouldn't pay any more than what it would cost for a new version of it.  I did find it funny though that when I went to the national museum, and they had imperial quality porcelain on display, I thought to myself that they all looked fake, and something you could find on aliexpress, and would normally stay away from haha...

peterp

Yeah, I think that too sometimes, when I see such things. But I guess never being used and kept in a box, separated from the environment, will preserve much of the original, fresh look. However, I'm sure they have documentation of most items, dating centuries back.