identification Please???

Started by abderrahim, Mar 20, 2023, 07:37:21

Previous topic - Next topic

abderrahim

Please according to you is this authentic chinese, if yes What is the period. THANKS

peterp

I'm afraid in this case the answer is not that simple.
This looks as if the porcelain body and the green decoration might be from different periods.
The body/base has age signs that could be late Qing dynasty, but the decoration may be later.
To be clear, this type of decoration did exist in the late Qing dynasty, but I have doubts about this being original, from that period.

First, there is a six character Qianlong mark in 'kaiti' characters, but in the Qianlong reign almost exclusively 'zhuanti' characters were used for marks. However, six character Qianlong marks are often found on 20th century items.
As to the decoration, you will note that all elements or colors in the decoration have black outlines. Such black outlines were most often used in the 20th century. In the Qing dynasty the lines would be more likely more fine and either gray (depending on the color) or a darker color of the same type (e.g. dark green for green elements, etc.).

abderrahim

Thankyou Peter for the reply,

It's true, it's not that simple. From what I understand, The body/base has age signs that could be late Qing dynasty, but the decoration and also the mark in 'kaiti' characters, may be later(20th century).
In this case is it possible to conclude that it is an unsuccessful copy of what the original should be.

peterp

That simply could mean that the whole is re-painted, or was painted on a mostly blank porcelain piece with the current mark. I have also a plate here with the shape and underside decoration clearly showing the plate was originally made in the Jiaqing reign, but the decoration is probably only a few decades old. It uses colors that could not be antique. The original decoration may just have been over-painted or re-painted in modern times, and then the item was fired once more in a kiln.
Such items have little collecting value. 
As China did tighten export controls of antiques, everything that has a decoration for the domestic market and is of good quality cannot be exported. Thus fakes and re-decorated items are increasingly appearing more often, it seems.

abderrahim

Ok it's really clear now, thanks.