Chinese or japaense bowl???

Started by abderrahim, Mar 06, 2023, 23:32:53

Previous topic - Next topic

abderrahim

Please it's Chinese or japaense bowl, can you tel me about the period.???? Thankyou

Stan

I have never seen a Chinese Porcelain bowl, Qing period with 3 blue rings around the outside of the foot, I have seen that on Japanese but the decoration is Chinese 18th century Kangxi but it looks like it was printed and then touched up by hand to make it look authentic also the mark has no depth, it looks like it is  on top of the glaze, a hands on inspection would confirm this, the bowl looks old on the bottom other than the mark itself, that is just my opinion lets see what Peter say's. BTW, the mark is a mark that was used in the Jiaqing period.

Stan

Hi Abderrahim, apparently in the Jailing period they did use a 3 blue lines around the the outside foot, but the bowls I looked at have unmistakable age signs and the mark would be under the glaze.

abderrahim

Thank you very much Stan for your details, I will wait for Peter's opinion.
We always learn with you Thank you.

peterp

I'm not sure about this, although the decoration style is commonly found in the Qing dynasty,  throughout it seems, mainly on wares for the common folks. I see three problems which I cannot resolve with what I know or have reference for.
First, regarding the three rings Stan mentions. They are okay. My book with lower quality and simple wares shows one to three rings on the outside of the foot rim, existed at least from the late Ming dynasty onward. We are talking about bowls only.
(Reference: also search online for images "foot rim chinese blue white bowls".)

The things I would put a question mark to with this item are (1), the whiteness of the glaze. and (2) the bowl rim which I would expect to be straight on such wares. Generally this is is less likely to appear on wares for the common people. The motif shows typical Chinese features seen on certain wares.
Not sure if this was all hand-painted or made as Stan described. And yes, style, mark and interior bottom decoration would all fit Jiaqing. There is a good possibility that it is of the period despite the above, simply for two reasons. One is that fakers don't bother with such simple decorations for the common people, the other is that the bottom itself looks old with glaze faults from earlierr production times.

abderrahim

Thank you Peter for these precisions, concerning the three rings I found examples on a-chinese-porcelain-blue-and-white-kraak-porcelain-bowl-or-crowcup wanli ming-dynasty.
It is true that the quality is not the same, but they have ripples at the top of the bowl.
There is also an example at the three rings with 'Crane flying' blue and white bowls, Marks and period of Yongzheng (1723-1735).
The other example bowl from the 17th century ming period. Cranes flying on the outside of the bowl with three rings.
On the other hand for the Jiaqing period, I found an example with
three rings on the outside of the foot rim, BLUE AND WHITE 'CRANE' BOWL SEAL MARK AND PERIOD OF JIAQING.
There are also two things I want to know, is that the blue color and the Cranes flying can't reflect what period were used a lot..
In the end I found this example that I think of Yuan dynasty (1271-1368) and that I find the closest by its color as well as the position of the three rings on the outside of the foot rim also with inside SHOU LAO RIDING ON CRANE( is the god of longevity)

abderrahim

Here is the exemple  I think of Yuan dynasty (1271-1368) and that I find the closest by its color as well as the position of the three rings on the outside of the foot rim also with inside SHOU LAO RIDING ON CRANE( is the god of longevity)

peterp

As I already mentioned in the reply below, the rings are not an issue.
You cannot just look for something similar and ignore other period specific features. One of this is the top rim which would not be commonly found on such an item of that specific period, assuming that it is of the early 19th century Jiaqing reign, according to the mark. That is a shape problem. Ming Kraak ware is a completely different matter, no comparisons possible.
Also, the square mark you show below and the one on the bowl are completely different in content, type and period. 

It just is sometimes not possible to tell right away if an item is right or not. We look at several features that should be right, and if one is not. then the item may be questionable. In that case one has to try finding a similar one (several features) because there are just too many possibilities. 

abderrahim

Thank you Peter for these precisions I appreciate your help very much.

abderrahim

I will just add this article for information and not for comparison with the bowl in question. The next object is also with the top rim of the bowl is wavy.
  'Excellent Wares for the Wealthy Nobility' or 'Beautiful Vessel for the Rich and Honorable'.
An auspicious inscription on folk wares, mostly seen on blue-and-white porcelain made in Jingdezhen in the Jiajing and Wanli reigns of the Ming dynasty and also seen on wares with gilt designs produced in the Jiajing reign. Chakra or, the flaming wheel-design on the inside. Estimated date C. 1600 according to some sources but probably Jiajing. Coll: Antoine Lecuyer Museum of Saint-Quentin (Aisne), France.
The next object is also with the top rim of the bowl is wavy.
The article is here:
gotheborg.com/marks/mingmarks.shtml

[admin:  Please read the notes regarding Copyright in the Forum Guidelines. If these pictures belong to someone else it is not allowed to post them directly. This forum is visited daily by search engines and posted images may appear on the Internet.]

peterp

Hi again, not sure what you wish to explain, but there are two or three things you need to understand.
Some decorations, shapes and marks were period specific, others not. That means some of these may have been used over prolonged periods (e.g. Ming to Qing dynasties). Others were limited to one reign, but may have been copied in later periods.
Your bowl has three features which are normally not appearing with this type of decoration, which was just for the common folks. The top rim, the rounded foot rim, and the very white glaze are normally associated with higher quality wares. There may be a rational explanation for these, namely that an earlier blank item that was not decorated was used to make this bowl. The decoration of the bowl is not of the type that goes with this shape, normally. It is just something made for the common population.
The decoration itself is Qing dynasty, the body shape may have been intended for a better quality item but was not used. This is just an assumption explaining why the two are together.
Again, as already stated, the mark is Qing dynasty Jiaqing reign, a reign mark type that existed only during this specific reign.
The other marks you displayed read "富貴佳器" (Fugui Jiaqi), the meaning is nothing of the English translations that you find in many places on the internet. This is just a common mark with an auspicious meaning. I believe those of us who read Chinese will agree to that such meanings are often difficult to accurately translate. Many auspicious marks were used in the Ming and early Qing dynasties, but this mark does not necessarily make this an item from the Ming dynasty. Please read about Chinese marks on the main site of chinese-antique-porcelain.com for further explanation.
The mark on your item is a reign mark that was hardly copied at all at any other time due to a peculiarity the marks of this reign have. They are sometimes difficult to read even for native Chinese speakers because they were using a (sort of) abbreviated character writing.

One more thing for everybody reading this. We consider the actual age of antique items to be the feature that is the last or most recently added. In this case it is the age relating to decoration and reign mark, not the shape.

abderrahim

Thank you very much Peter for your help, it is very clear.