Marked Cup - can’t read mark

Started by JjGhandi, Dec 31, 2022, 19:03:38

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hi Peter, Stan, everyone,

I have purchased this Kangxi (or 19th century) cup with a 6 character mark but it's poorly written and I can't decipher it.
my best guess is: ? - Shi - Long - Zhi - Liang - Zao but that doesn't make any sense.

Can't find it in my books because it's probably diffrently written.

Have you got any idea?

Thanks in advance!

JJ

https://i.imgur.com/BFwzcoI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VAT3Nw1.jpg

peterp

This is Japanese. Maybe Stan knows the full mark. The first two characters read Hirado.
Blue circle immediately beside the foot rim is usually a sign of Japanese porcelain.

JjGhandi

Oh Japanese, I wouldn't have guessed. It looked so Chinese to me, even the writing!
Thanks for sorting that out! :)

Stan

The mark is in my book on Japanese marks "Hirato, San, Yedamats, Tsukuru. Made by Yedamats; the product of Hirato, this is how it is written in my book.

peterp

Thanks Stan.

I will modify the romaji spelling after I have checked the Kanji.
Not your fault (!) I found it wrong in several places on the web even a Japanese website.

(E.g., Hira+to is commonly read as Hirado, that is the same "do" as in Edo. There is no "Ye" sound in Japanese and "mats" is most likely "matsu". Japanese words always end in a vowel, except if the ending is "n".)  :)

Stan

Hi Peter, I notice that a lot of words in this book, Japanese Marks And Seals, A lot of the words are spelled differently that what I am used to, thanks for the good explanation on this.

peterp

Apparently this text is originally from an old 19th century work. Nothing written is standard Japanese Romaji. The writer had no idea of Japanese.

This item appears to be from Arita.
Mark: 平戸産  枝栄造
平戸産  (Hirado san) means 'Product of Hirado', 枝栄造 means Made by...枝栄(three different name readings "Edashige, Edae, Kie" all possible and correct according the web. Note, many Japanese names have different readings for the same characters. Nothing strange here. )

(In the Additional Information board below I posted a link to a downloadable PDF document I encountered during my search. Unfortunately, it is in Japanese, but has lots of images of porcelain and marks. Just in case someone is interested in these for future research.)