Large Qianlong style bowl 20th century?

Started by Stan, Nov 11, 2022, 05:35:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, it has been awhile since I posted, It is like Chinese antique porcelain has dried up around here. this is a new addition to my collection, this bowl is 36.8 cm wide, Im not sure if it is a punch bowl or not, at the top rim it is fairly thin and yet light does not transfer through with a flash light so it is not pure porcelain and it is heavy, the bottom mark is red with the initials U.W United Wilson dated 1897, so far I found that this was a factory dating from the late Qing to the republic period Im thinking 1925-30 I would like to know what you think on age, I have never seen anything like it or the mark, thanks for your expertise.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view, I forgot to mention on the bottom I have never seen stilt marks like this and the faces look a little strange to me.

Stan

Here is the last 2 Photo's, thanks for your help.

peterp

The base is completely different from Chinese ones. UW is a Hong Kong factory. The painting style is not Chinese either. Looks like Chinoiserie, but the mark and its date may differ from the actual date it was made.
We cannot judge this by comparing with items made in China. It just looks that there are no usage signs, like abrasion of the gilt, etc..

Stan

Hi Peter, when I got this piece it had styrofoam glued in the inside, hiding the whole inside decoration and there was fake flowers put, so many that it hid most of the outside decoration as well,   I was please to find such a nice decoration when I removed it, I can tell that it had been that way for a long time because the glue holding the styrofoam was starting to crystalize, I was able to scrape it off with out using any chemicals or cleaners.

peterp

I'm afraid I do not know them. It is just that there were some porcelain factories located in Hong Kong and Macao which operated from the late Qing dynasty onwards, it appears. You are right, looks like Chinoiserie, if one can call items made in that place call that way. These factories could have inherited something from Canton (Guangzhou) and also from the West. 
Anyway, the 1879 in the mark appears to be the time the factory was established not a production date. They are still operating, did you look at their website? There is also a vase that looks Japanese and modern-looking western style items.
Just in case you did not look at their website:   www.unitedwilson.com

Did you mean the small marks on the inside of the base, located on the rounded area?  With today's technology anything would be possible, although why they would fire on stilts if there is an unglazed foot rim is a bit strange. Could be for some other purpose, maybe propping it up for the last low-temperature firing that would have been necessary to fix the gilt?
I have never seen Chinoiserie looking like this, nice find.