Chinese jar

Started by hn2503, Oct 21, 2022, 23:37:03

Previous topic - Next topic

hn2503

Hi Peter et al,

I came across a large Chinese jar of probably 65cm in diameter.

The topic is 9 dragons in blue and red underglaze. The mark is Qianlong in seal character.

It does look like late 19th or early 20th century to me due to the rounded tails and the five-claw features. I also have images of the base and exterior surface of the jar.

Do you also think this is late Qian dynasty or Republic?

I am not experienced with the red underglaze. What I can see is that the red pigment is not coral red.

Thanks
Long

hn2503

Some more images of the base and exterior of the vase

hn2503

Some more images

peterp

Depends on what you mean with "republic". The mainland Chinese consider 1911~1949 as republic period, here in Taiwan the republic period is still continuing.

I think it is a 20th century item but cannot tell for sure when, because my specialty is antiques 100 years old or older. The painting style of the dragon and the colors give the impression of something perhaps second quarter of 20th century or later. 65 cm? Maybe a fish basin, the shape of the top rim would conform to that, otherwise Chinese vessels or storage jars would not have such a rim. The Qianlong mark is for decoration only. It is frequently used on 20th century items, post early republic period.

hn2503

Many thanks Peterp for the comments.

I also wondered the purpose of this large jar, but your remark about the top rim does make it a lot easier to think and agree that it should be a fish basin. I suppose that one needs to lift the fish basin carefully because there are fishes in it hence the shape.

I also looked further into the red colour, and it seems to be copper red.

Thanks
Long