Please help identify this vase

Started by Champtang, Aug 02, 2022, 01:35:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Champtang

Hello again sir, Need help to identify or more information this vase.I'm thinking the foot looks old and there is age sign all over this vase, but just want to be sure its real old.Thank you in advance.

https://flic.kr/p/2nBJ12M
https://flic.kr/p/2nBGEgA

peterp

I would not buy it.. Yes, the vase body looks old, but the blue decoration is printed or transfer printed, not hand-painted. In China this kind of printing would not have started before about the second quarter of the 20th century. The lugs for the strings (animal heads) seem to be old too. Perhaps a white porcelain body was decorated at a later time.

Champtang

Yes sir, thank you for your answer in details. I have no idea the blue decoration is printed or transfer printed before, Would you mind show me the printed or transfer printed spots or areas? Or if I don't get wrong. At upper of 3rd picture and lower of 4th picture(I think there is a different layer) and so they are too neat?

peterp

Please look at the two examples below:

The first one shows a cloud. The outlines (contours) are thin lines, and they have intermittent spaces (breaks). That is typical for printing aka transfer printing. If painted by hand with a brush or with another painting tool the lines look different. The  circles around the knob of the lid are hand-painted. You can see that the intensity of the blue on the right side is different. That is because the brush had only so much color to use...that is expressed by a darker color at the beginning of a stroke and a lighter one towards the end, because the color is used up. Sometimes, the line width of brush strokes differs too at the beginning and end.

With the printed lines they are all uniform in color tone and width.

You can also look out for repetitive elements that are 100% the same, because with hand-painting there is always a minute difference between them, even with highly qualitative items.

With this item, the lid knob, the rings, and the string lugs are probably all old and original underglaze blue. The rest may have been printed using transfer at a later time.
Often transfer printing and hand-painting appears on the same item, but we regard anything with printing as not antique.
Also, often only the contour lines are transfer-printed, then the filling color is added by hand. This seems to be the case here.
Printed filling colors are all very uniform in color and look flat, without any depth, while those done with brush usually show some darker or brighter area.

Champtang

That is really amazing explanation, this clear all my curious and also learned about how to distinguish the details between transfer printed or hand-painted and more.

This is the first time for me to see transfer printing and hand-painting in the same item. Your answer is really helpful, I'm really appreciate and learned many things here. Thank you so much sir.
Best regards 
Champ Tang