Guan vase

Started by hn2503, Jun 19, 2022, 06:09:54

Previous topic - Next topic

hn2503

Hi Peter,

I came across the vase, and I think the drawing of the two dragons look reasonable, e.g. the dragon heads. There are several downsides and I would like to ask for your opinion.

i) The porcelain colour/glaze is not (pure) white, and the cobalt blue is not strong and/or sharp 
ii) The clouds scattering around the surface is repetitive or not nice. The same applies to the wave near the base of the vase.
iii) Do you think they paint the rim of the base with reddish colour so that it looks like iron oxide? it looks a bit too red and bright especially at place where the glaze ends.
iv) Except for a crack line running from the neck down the body, i cannot see any sign of age, i.e. scratches on the surface.

Thanks
Long

hn2503

Some more images

hn2503

some more images.
Thanks

hn2503

There are also rush and black spots seen throughout the surface of the vase, including exterior, interior and the base.

peterp

Looks all natural to me. Next time, please also post a picture of the whole dragon. The head, claws, scales and especially also the tip of the tail can all be all hints to the period. If I'm right then the tip of the tail is rounded rather than pointed.

Late Qing/Guangxu I would think.

peterp

Why the title "Guan" vase? You don't think this could be imperial ware, do you?

hn2503

Many thanks Peter. The tip of the tail is rounded. I attach some more pictures of the entire vase.

hn2503

I made a mistake in writing Guan vase.

I was thinking of a Baluster vase, but in Chinese they are called "Quan" (instead of Guan) or General/Official because of big shoulder of the vase. Not sure if this is correct. I can change the title of the topic to Baluster vase to be more precise.

This cannot be imperial, not just because of the three claws but also the quality of drawing. I thought the dragon look okay, but other things, e.g. cloud, flame, wave band, pearl, rock, and the colour of the blue, do not look very brilliant. I previously thought this a new copy.

But I quite like the four monkey hooks or handles attached to the shoulder of the vase. See pictures.

peterp

Those are lugs for passing a string, either for holding a lid or for carrying. Yes, the age signs are convincing no matter what the decoration.

hn2503

Thanks Peter for your help.
btw I cannot figure out how to change the topic from Guan to Quan ([color=#202124][size=3][font=arial, sans-serif]全[/font][/size][/color]) vase, next time will be more careful. 

peterp

Never mind. I could change it but do not know why you want to use this 全 character. Never heard that in Chinese in relation to any ceramics. It just means 'whole, all, complete'.  :)
Shape-wise it resembles somewhat a temple jar, but these do not have lugs, usually.