Song jun kiln bowl? (Really not sure)

Started by smak, Apr 27, 2022, 12:48:34

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

What  do you guys think? When was this made?

smak

more

peterp

This is difficult to tell with pictures alone. The bottom and foot rim do not look much like Song. I would not buy it because the glaze has too much gloss for Jun, in my view. It also does not show pitting, which is the result of burst glaze bubbles; but it would take many hundred years for the glaze to reach that age stage and not all Jun glazes show them.

Part of the problem is that there were too many kilns making jun-glazed wares, spreading from Inner Mongolia to the Yangtse river. Then, still later some Jun-glazed wares were also made in Southern China. And there are too many fakes. The conditions of the interior of the glaze is important to decide whether a Jun item might be authentic.

smak

Thanks Peter, I just purchased it! I didnt pay a whole lot for it at an auction. Just $35 from Hungary. When it comes in, I'll take better photos!

smak

ibb.co/5jzG0ZH
ibb.co/qmBkyyb
ibb.co/YL1Xcc7
ibb.co/pJ99dRq
ibb.co/WVLDQ8P
ibb.co/QjpMYC6
ibb.co/P5FFsJg
ibb.co/GRXtj2J
ibb.co/K9CTYmn
ibb.co/KL01cLF
ibb.co/XJt7Zyh

peterp

I'm afraid I still have doubts about this. One question, is the blue color of the interior really so grainy or is it the photographs?

The main problem I have is with the base. On the outside the glaze goes down very neatly to the foot rim. Fine if it was Song, but the glaze inside the foot rim is just the opposite. Maybe Jin, but not Yuan... Then the outside diameter of the foot rim is rounded. You will have to try to find a similar one, I never saw a rounded foot rim on Jun ware.
In the end, it may still be necessary to have someone do a hands-on inspection to check the glaze, with a strong magnifier or a microscope.
With Jun wares authenticity and dating hangs on two things, one is the glaze, the other the foot. It is difficult to be sure based on pictures alone.