Ming Jar with fish (I have doubts)

Started by smak, Mar 17, 2022, 10:37:34

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi all,

I think its a Ming replica, but not sure. The fish looks right, and don;t see jars like these. The dealer is actually from Japan so it reminded me of our conversation about how Japan has some serious collectors. I just don't know enough about this to say that it's real. But I am looking for your opinions! Also to learn since there isnt much of these that I've seen! If its a replica, what era was it trying to replicate? Seriously interested in the fish haha. Like what the designs were for.

smak

more

smak

more

smak

more

smak

more

peterp

It's new, and it is trying to look like Yuan BW ware. You cannot just look at the decoration and decide what it is or not is. You need usually at least five factors that are positive for a period to make a decision.

The stylized lotus petal band along the bottom has spaces between the petals, and that appears only in the Yuan dynasty that way. The fish is Yuan style, but much too detailed, and I'm not sure if I have seen a red one. The light color of the blue pigment is not common on Yuan wares.
The interior shows no seam somewhere that indicated it was made in two parts. And, such a pristine looking glaze outside and inside, with no age or usage signs, and no period-specific production signs?

smak

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the breakdown! I just wish there was more Yuan pieces in the market for us collectors. In terms of the collecting world, are Yuan pieces more sought after than other dynasty pieces?

It was actually the detail of the fish that attracted me at first hah I thought it looked pretty. But you are right, I saw examples of Yuan fish on Google and its not as detailed. 

Stan

Hi Peter, I don't think this was made as a fake, it to obvious, on the other hand it is a very nice vase, looks like it is all hand made and painted.

smak

I'm also curious about the style of the fish still, it looks like an influence from outside of China. Almost western like and that type of fish doesnt seem common in China I think?

So far only examples of said fish is in the Yuan period, that kinda makes sense? Foreign influence?

peterp

Yes, I agree Stan. Looks just too new.

peterp

> like an influence from outside of China. Almost western like
From the west? In the 13th/14th centuries?