Help with calligraphy

Started by rgomes10, Mar 12, 2022, 18:55:30

Previous topic - Next topic

rgomes10

Hello!
I need help to read the calligraphy of the bowls, please. I think it might have the year.
Sorry about the quality of the photos.
Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Regina

peterp

甲辰 1964

As the mark uses a simplified character used from the 60s this is the only possible cyclical year.

Adriano

Hi Peter,

My first thought for the date was jia xu (1934), but for sure I was wrong.
It seems that the bottom mark is Guan yao nei zao ( Imperial Kiln for Inner Palace).
I found this mark in many Qianjiang dated pieces of the early 20th century: could be the date 1904 instead of 1964?
Moreover these bowls looks me older than PROC period.
What do you think?

konniela

Are this the two signs for dating ?

konniela

The photos are really not the best. The mark seems to used later too.

Adriano

peterp

That would be impossible. The character 窑 is simplified. The traditional character would be 窯. 
Simplified characters were established by the PRC in the mid 50s and would have been used only from about the 60s. There is no place for an earlier dating.

peterp

To Adriano, the coloration, especially the brown, is not typical for earlier colors. Also on closer inspection of the blue band it is possibly transfer printed. It seems to be that the same painting irregularities of the shapes are repeated elsewhere.

If you want old-looking new ones you can get them easily, with old writing, etc., but sometimes they just overlooked tiny details.

Adriano

Thank you Peter, I was deceived a bit by the old appearance.
I have to pay more attention to details.