Song like cup

Started by bluebird26, Feb 26, 2022, 10:22:36

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebird26

Hello, I would like to have some infos on a cup that i have.
It is a marine find, the surface is rough. The remaning glaze have a bluish hue. The side of the cup is very thin.
Do you know where it was made?
Thank you very much!
Fred

bluebird26

There is a shape inside the bowl and four small spots

peterp

Do you have a sideview?
Can you provide an enlarged, partial view of the top and foot rim edge, showing its consistency. Any glaze remaining on the surface? Is the rough surface in your opinion because the glaze is gone? To me this does not look like qingbai but rather white porcelain, in these pictures

How do you know it is from a 'marine' origin and not from another water-logged source? I'm asking because of its shape, which points to a considerable age, but the bottom inside the foot rim does not show bleaching. Marine shipping was not yet very developed in the Song dynasty, but freshwater transport ways like the Grand Canal are known to contain scores of wrecks.

Anyway, with the five lobed top rim it would have to be Five Dynasties period to Northern Song, however the foot rim looks more like Song. Thus, Northern Song is more likely. Cannot be Southern Song.

bluebird26

Hi Peter, thank you

I have no idea from where it came from, my guess was the marine environement is more harsh to the glaze, and also there is a small coral polype fixed to the base, could be from brackish water

bluebird26

foot rim edge

bluebird26

That is cool if it is a that old cup, i bought it recently.
The side is super thin, it is amazing to realise that something so fragile stayed intact for so long!

bluebird26

more pics

peterp

The outer surface of the base shows that the glaze is falling off. Careful handling is needed to avoid that it is scraped away further, unintentionally. The vitreous layer obviously is already too brittle to adhere firmly to the clay body.

bluebird26

Hi Peter, thank you, I will be carfull.