Republican Ginger Jars?

Started by Hmm, Feb 01, 2022, 12:29:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Hmm

Hi,

I was wondering particularly what people thought about the ginger jar on the left, and if it's correct or not?  It seems this was a fairly common decoration.

imgur.com/a/X6Vvpco

Thanks.

peterp

Any writing on the back? The motif is republic, but the style makes me think at least 1940 or later.

Hmm

Hi, here's an image of the writing on the back of the left ginger jar. 

imgur.com/a/4O8UTiq

The right one doesn't have anything written in back, and just has a few small little butterflies painting on it. 

Thanks.

peterp

I'm afraid nothing shows under that link. The whole screen becomes black; first logo and website header of imgur appear, then everything disappears.

Hmm

Hmm.  The link should have worked.

Here's a direct link to the photo itself.  i.imgur.com/V1kRTvx.jpg

Thanks.

peterp

Sorry, the problem was with the browser, perhaps caused by some setting or update.

As you already said, a common motif, both the birds and tree, but the painting style differs among the two. They may have been painted by different painters, there are sometimes differences even in the same production setting. Perhaps different painters painted them. They do not look to be from the same batch, originally. The painting style is also somewhat different from those I have seen elsewhere. What might point to a different date or place of production is the bottom. The cross on one is nothing that appears on traditional porcelain, and the nipple in the center may or may not be from extrusion. If it is, then it means the vase would have been made in a mold, possibly. The problem is that such production methods started sometime in the second or third quarter of the 20th century, as far as I know. But it is really difficult to use this alone for dating. Manual production on the wheel continues even today, in parallel with machine production in factories.

Hmm

Hmm.  I should have probably paid more attention to the bottom before purchasing. 

However, in the inside and what looks like on the outside (although doesn't show up in the details of the photos), it does look like there's concentric circles.  I assume this is generally from using a wheel, rather than a mold, unless they scrape the inside?

Thanks.

peterp

Yes probably. Concentric circles would be a spiral from throwing, I assume. But the cross looks as if it was impressed. Don't know much about the production methods used after 100% manual manufacturing started to decline.