Yellow bowl

Started by abramojones, Dec 30, 2021, 22:33:58

Previous topic - Next topic

abramojones

Hello everyone! First of all thank you for your forum, I'm learning a lot!

My father bought this yellow bowl, with a faded "CHINA" mark on base, some years ago in the US. I read that the mark was used for export until 1919. Could be this bowl from the late Qing/Republic period?

Thank you in advance for your informations.

peterp

First I have to say that I have never a bowl of this type in such a pristine condition. Most of them show various stages of abrasion of outer decoration and green interior. The top rim looks practically new.

This sort of bowl was plenty in the late Qing dynasty, about Tongzhi/Guangxu reigns, but they were used mostly domestically, on the altar or otherwise. This means the "CHINA" mark is sort of odd, but not entirely impossible. But the decoration and glaze and everything is practically in new condition; in addition there is kiln grit present along the foot rim. I never saw grit late Qing dynasty items.

What I believe is that this might be a refurberished/over-painted old bowl with kiln grit added to make it older than it is. We count the last firing as the real age, thus, I'm afraid this was fired in the 20th century. Which would be its real age.
I own several such items and all show either clear age signs, abrasion or cracks.

franridd

Hi all,

I am not an expert by any means, just learning and collecting.

The polychrome colours on the bowl have been used in the mid-late 19th century. however the foot is really weird. This added kiln grit somehow was used to make it seem older I guess. Yet grit was only common up until the transitional period (early 17th century). Also the piece is in outstanding condition.

Those colours and patterns are imitating late 19th century. The foot is a sad try to be a early 17th century foot. And the faded China makes it even weirder haha. Its confusing

I could be completely wrong but this is just my unprofessional opinion   

Nonetheless an interesting piece!

peterp

You can see some kiln grit on Yongzheng porcelain made for local (China) use. The last grit I know appears on export porcelain of the Qianlong reign, but only on flat, unglazed bottoms (no foot rim), where very little grit can appear along the glaze line at the edge of the foot. Otherwise, there is mostly no grit during the whole of the Qing dynasty.

abramojones

Hello everyone and Happy new year!

Thanks Peter and Fran, collecting Chinese ceramics is a new passion for me, I have a lot to learn and your informations are incredibly helpful.

Decoration, colours and mark "CHINA" made me immediately think to late 19th too, despite the pristine condition and some inconsistencies. My father was a collector too, but not an expert at all, so the only information I can add is that this bowl was bought in the 1960's.

Thanks again!

peterp

A Happy New Year!

If this is from the 1960s then it was made before the great wave of faking started. That would have been in the 80s.

franridd

by admin:
please read the rules about posting links to external sites, above.

For more info about the 'china' mark:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBB3WqWE1HQ
Watch from 33:00

in summary: the red 'china' mark had to be added after 1895 for products that were going to be exported.