Old Japanese Arita Plate

Started by Stan, Jul 28, 2014, 01:15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I have two of these plates, the diameter is 27.94 X 27.94 cm the hight is 6.731 cm, I can tell that they are old 19th century, on the bottom foot I can see sand on the unglazed portion of the foot on some areas, that tells me that the foot was supported with some kind of a sand based support, it has the typical four lines marked on the bottom which is typical for Arita porcelain, could you please tell me what the marks mean, I have owned these for several years and have not been able to Identify the maker, I am putting these on because lately there has been others posting Arita ware on this site and these are what I call fine examples of Imari porcelain, I hope you can identify the marks, thanks peter, I purchased these from an antique dealer at an antique show, the lady I bought them from would not come down in her price at the time so I think I probably paid top dollar, but they are fine examples of old Arita Imari porcelain. thanks Peter.

Stan

Here is more photo's to view.

Stan

Last set of photo's to for view, thanks.

Stan

BTW these are all hand painted.

peterp

It is an apocryphal Chenghua mark. The mark appears frequently on older Japanese porcelain.

Stan

No wonder I could not find the Japanese mark, and here I have two plates signed with a Chinese Chenghua mark, thats great, thanks Peter.