Celadon plate

Started by Stan, Sep 13, 2021, 14:09:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, the foot on this celadon plate is slanted on the outside and slightly slanted on the inside, on the bottom there is bubble bursts, do you think this is 18th century or is it late Qing. The plate is 28.6 cm across. Thank you for all your help.

Stan

Here are the last 2 photo's, thanks again.

peterp

Hi Stan,
To me it looks as if this is not slanted in the sense 18th century items would be. The angle is too little and may be caused by celadon glaze accumulating in the corner between foot and outer surface. Also, the burst bubbles I mentioned elsewhere are meant to be bubbles near the surface that burst open in the kiln and leave an indent in the glaze. But these seem to be going through the glaze, something that would be less likely with 18th century items. The brown color may be dirt, or the clay below.
I cannot tell from when this is really. the worm back foot rim indicates Qing, but overall the plate looks more like something from the Ming dynasty or earlier. But those ancient celadon kilns did not make such a foot, so it is likely from Jingdezhen, Qing dynasty, either before or after the "three reigns period". That is about all that I can say. If it were Ming, early Ming, it might likely have a wider, somewhat flat rim, I would say.
This could be Jingdezhen ware imitating a Longquan glaze and decoration, or made by one of the peripheral kilns of the original Longquan kiln system (after the main Longquan kiln ceased operation in about the mid-Ming dynasty). But the foot rim still points to Qing.
Very nice piece.

Stan

Thanks Peter, that was my concern about the outside foot with such a slight slant,  that is why I was thinking Guangxu, I did not consider Ming, I have a ming plate with a wide flat rim with a slight inward slant.

peterp

The foot rim shape and height changed througout the Ming dynasty, that is depending in time but also on the kiln. (For example the Longquan kiln, which was not in JDZ had a completely different base.) But this type of foot rim is typical Qing. Only few items of the Ming dynasty would show such a clean worm back.