Help with the identification of large Chinese vase with handles and poem

Started by Liv86, Sep 11, 2021, 16:48:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Liv86

Hello everyone,

My mother has inherited a Chinese vase. She was told that it's a valuable piece, but we have no idea if this is true. Can someone help identify it? She doesn't know anything about it and she's very curious about it.

I already did some research, but there a some many different vases of this can't find out more than that it is a calligraph vase with a poem on the back.

Thanks in advance!

Stan

The decoration looks recent and it could be printed, these photo's are to small to tell, we will need close up photo's of the decoration, a full photo of the bottom at an angle.

Liv86

Thanks for your reply. Here are more pictures.
Also few larger photos, which are too large to upload here:
ibb.co/4N7bq5t (bottom)
ibb.co/k9XZ25L (front of the vase)

Liv86

Bottom of the vase (larger picture is available through the link in the post above)

Stan

Thanks for the additional photo's, if you could take a close up photo of just the faces and one of the black outlines, with these photo's it still looks like it could be printed, the shape and bottom and foot rim looks like a late Qing, Im thinking this late Qing vase was redecorated  at a later date, a close up of the above referenced photo's will confirm this.

Adriano

Hi all,
Judging by decoration it is a late Republic Qianjiang style piece (1930-1949), I think.
It is not to be considered antique because normally are considered antique Chinese porcelains produced before 1930.
Anyway, it is a nice vase with collecting and commercial value.
By chance, I found on web, a piece with similar decoration dated 1941.

peterp

In this case I agree with Stan that it could be printed. The brush strokes just don't look much like handpainting. The lines are too uniformly black.

Adriano, I would recomment that you do not take your item at face value, unless it is from a big auction house or museum. It is a completely different matter. Yours appears to be signed/marked Wang Dafan (1888-1961), one of the Eight Firends of Zhushan. If genuine, this would be valued in the thousands (more likely tens of thousands) of euros or dollars in the Chinese world, at least.
However, unless you have this picture from somewhere else on the Internet than what I mentioned above, there is a very high likelyhood that it is a fake. Fakes of the works of members of the Eight Friends group abound, I'm afraid. I have one too.
Many of their works are indeed not antiques. Their high price is due to the fame of this artist's group.