Fukagawa Chuji

Started by Stan, Jul 18, 2021, 04:20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, Chuji Fukagawa is one of my favorites to collect for Antique Japanese Porcelain, this piece is in my book for designs by Chuji, I do think this is authentic 1895 vase, I have several items by this potter, Notice the mountain and the red mark are hand drawn like the rest of the decoration on the vase, however I have never seen a red mark like this on his items, could you tell me what the red mark says. Thank you.

Stan

Here are the rest of the photo's, thanks again.

Stan

One more photo.

peterp

It says Nishimine (west peak), either a family name or actually a mountain. On the Japanese internet it it says "Arita yaki, Nishimine made". If it was a mountain or place name (there are several), it could also be read 'saiho'. I found both boxes and porcelain marks saying "Arita, Nishimine made", and also some porcelain items that have only "Nishimine made" as mark.

Stan

Thanks Peter, he must have worked for Chuji the fukagawa co.

Stan

Hi Peter, I found this vase in my book " Japanese Porcelain 1800-1950 with the same decoration and shape, the only thing different is the one in the book is a little larger and the decals on the side are butterflies in the book but it says it is made by Chuji Fukagawa Nishikide ware, could the name be Nishikide instead of Nishimine?

peterp

>Nishikide instead of Nishimine

I don't think so. Are there are any Japanese characters?

Stan

"Are there any Japanese Characters"  No they did not show the bottom, so Im not sure where she came up with the name, that's a good point, so she could be wrong on the pronunciation, she dose not show the mark/name Nishikide, also I would like to point out she says Made by Chuji Fukagawa, Im sure she is referring to the mountain and stream mark, but that is being used today as well, the new ones are stamped the old ones are hand drawn, as well as the names or other characters.