Meiping Fahua vase

Started by Stan, Jul 17, 2021, 09:43:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I am not sure about this vase, it looks like it is old but I am not sure, I do not know enough to say how old, the clay has a high ring to it so I think it is some type of stone ware, your expertise is appreciated, thanks for all your help.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are more photo's.

peterp

Stan, I still do not know much about Fahua. Authentic ones are difficult to find. Fahua items were produced until the late Ming or early Qing dynasty only. Later similar decorations wares copied/made also by certain other kilns, and there were a few others doing this type of colored glazes with appliqué decorations. Some still produce today. 
Fahua items are not porcelain, but rather low-fired earthenware, possibly with white clay and other clay colors.

You probably noted that the dragon tail is more rounded, like those of the late Qing dynasty, when Fahua was not produced anymore. And, the dragons of the Ming dynasty generally looked different from those of the Qing dynasty and later.
I found this: https://tinyurl.com/4z4phjcz  (2nd picture). It even comes with a mark which should be apocryphal. I have doubts about this too.
Please note that the crackling of the glaze may be natural, but not necessarily very old. Some color glazes develop crackles quickly, while other may not show any, even on the same item.
The bottom does not seem to be right, in my view. It looks as if it was made to look old.

Stan

Hi Peter, I did not think this to be Ming but it dose show age esp, when viewed through a loop, I forgot to post a photo of what appears to be a mark, if it is can you make out what it says it could be a clue to age, I was thinking the same thing with the rounded tail, thanks Peter for all your help.

peterp

No good I'm afraid. It is a four character Yongle mark. Yongle marks are usually from later times, even on other porcelain only a handful such period marks are known.
But Fahua ceramics are essentially a Ming dynasty type. Production appears to have begun in the Yuan dynasty and was at a peak during the Ming dynasty. That is why anything with elements that seem to be later than Ming is suspect.

Stan

Thanks Peter, so the Yongle mark itself tells us it is much later.