Others Vase Identification

Started by abderrahim, May 22, 2021, 05:45:38

Previous topic - Next topic

abderrahim

Hi Peter and Stan, I just bought these two pairs of vases and need your help identifying them. They are identical (13x7 inch). Thank you

abderrahim

Others pictures.

abderrahim

Others pictures.

peterp

Not an antique, I'm afraid. All of the decoration is wrong, especially that along the foot would never have been used in such a place. I would not even call this a fake, just a new item.
The glaze is new, the blue color is too dark. Unfortunately this is easy to recognize.
You could ask before you buy next time, this way you could avoid such items.

I see that many of the items you ask about are of the same types of fakes/new items. If they are from the same seller, I would avoid this one. If you want to buy real antiques and are able to do so online, we might be able to give you some hints where to find authentic ones. Also, it would be a good idea to start with export porcelain, because the percentage of fakes is a bit lower with these.

abderrahim

Hello Peter, Thank you very much for your advice.
I live in Montreal and here there are no sellers for this type of items.
There are just local auctions and that's where I buy most of my items (99% fake items).
I would like to buy real antiques online, if you can show me how to do it.
Thank you very much for your advice and for your help.

abderrahim

Just to add that I know most of the people who have these local auctions. They are serious and honest people.
Even in their ads they just say it's porcelain. So it's up to the buyers to be responsible for their purchases.
Thank you very much if you have websites where I can buy online.

peterp

Most sellers of general antiques do not know enough of Chinese ceramics to be sure if they are antique or fakes. Even those specialized on such usually are only knowledgeable in respect to certain periods or types.
Never heard of Chinese export porcelain being sold from Canada.
You can use Ebay, but beware of the fakes. I recommend not to use Ebay.com (US) because that seems to be where most fakes from abroad are being offered, inclusive fake certificates. In the past I bought items via Ebay.ca; there was a difference, Ebay US seems to be more US centered and many settings favor the US. On Ebay Canada searches would load sellers from Europe too. Please be aware that although export porcelain is/was also sold from the US, it might be easier to buy from Europe, especially the UK, Netherlands and Sweden, for that is where the most Chinese items from the 18th and 19th centuries probably went and still are.
You could also try Catawiki (Netherlands). All items are checked by people at Catawiki before they are posted for auction. Although their appraisals are not always correct, it gives an additional layer of safety for buyers, for Ebay does do nothing at all to check items. This auction mode is safer for newbies, I would think.
And before all, learn yourself. Just relying on sellers is getting you nowhere when it comes to Chinese porcelain. Read books, look at information online, and reject dubious information from commercial enterprises. They will not help you.

Stan

Hi Abderrahim, I have found that fakes are everywhere, even with respected sellers that was told by someone else that it is authentic, and you are right it is buyer be ware, that is why it is important for you to arm your self with as much Knowledge as possible and then the best teacher is experience, hands on, this site is one of the best places to familiarize your self with Antique Chinese Porcelain, but when I say experience I mean getting burned a few times, but it is always that educated purchase you make afterwards that makes it worth while.

abderrahim

Hello Peter and Stan,
Thank you very much for your answers and advice,
Yes it's about the best way not to get fooled is to learn a lot. I admit that it is not easy but with the study, the experience and of course your help. Also this site is among the best to learn about antique Chinese porcelain.
The next time I will put photos on the site before buying, to have your advice. Thank you