Yuan blue and white Jar.

Started by Stan, May 13, 2021, 03:06:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is Yuan Jar I just won at a local auction, I think it is a fake but a nice decorative jar, I did not pay much so Im not concerned about it being a copy, unfortunately I do not have a few hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy an authentic one so second best but I do want to make sure it is something else, your expertise is appreciated, the jar is 26.03 cm tall, a couple things to point out is I do not see any rust spots however their is lots of tiny holes that look like craters when magnified, also it looks like it was made in two sections but the inside barley shows it not as much as the outside, thanks again for your expert opinion.

Stan

Here is two more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are the last two photo's, thanks for all your help.

peterp

Hi Stan, what is the decoration on the other side of the jar, a dragon?
First I need to state that my experience with bit Yuan items is limited. They are mostly in museums in Istanbul and Iran. That means even China has only a limited number.
I can not detect anything in the decoration that is incongruent, the shape is all right, even the bottom shows signs that it was separately made, see the line of slip along the base edge, on the inside? That is something specific to Yuan. But it can be added to an item that was made in one piece.

Not sure about the pigment, though. It appears a bit light. Comparison with the items in a book showing those in the Middle East confirms that they usually are a bit darker.
Larger Yuan blue white items used a pigment that was not refined sufficiently. Where it accumulated there would be either grayish patches and/or there would be indents in the glaze, caused by these.
All said above is something of a rule, but there seem to be exceptions.
I'm not really in a position to judge this, most collectors aren't, because these items are rare even here. I know a bit more about bowls and smaller jarlets that were exported to SE Asia at the time.
Either this is a high quality fake or it is genuine.

peterp

Maybe you could send pictures to 'major' auction houses or take it on valuation day to see how they react. Not to one only, but to several. Many will not have someone who has had the opportunity to handle one, not to mention several. Even Chinese researchers may have to go to the Middle East to view big items.

smak

Very very very nice piece Stan!

Stan

Thanks Smak, wouldn't that be something if it turns out to be authentic, Here is the other side Peter, their are four phoenix birds all around the vase, two are facing up and two are facing down and two have different style tail feathers than the other two, here is a photo of the other side, Thanks again Peter.

smak

Even if its a replica/ reproduction, I'd still buy it as well! Just a very very nice piece! Wish you the best of luck Stan!