Chinese or Japanese??? 7'' blue-white plate

Started by askent, Apr 13, 2021, 21:45:46

Previous topic - Next topic

askent

Hi all, anpther collection plate. Your thoughts pls.

peterp

The decoration is Kangxi, imitation or authentic cannot be based on two small pictures... see previous comments related to this, please.

It is a bit of a futile exercise if we have to look at too small pictures to tell you every time we need more details. Evaluating authenticity based on pictures of the decoration alone is not possible with Chinese porcelain, age signs, and more need to be checked; but to be as accurate as possible more information in the form of pictures is required.
What you ask us to do is the same as looking at some books, comparing decorations, and based on that want us to decide what you have? This is not European porcelain. Chinese porcelain on the market today is up to 99% fake depending on the location, less in the west or when it is export porcelain. Still, decorations are the most easily copied. They are unusable alone for deciding authenticity, so please provide more picture of details. Whole items do only tell us the shape and decoration. We need to see the foot rim shape, usage signs, blemishes, the bottom glaze, the pigment color, etc. These are only visible in partial pictures, usually. Please look at what pictures others upload. Your understanding is appreciated.

askent

Thanks a lot Peterp for detailed reply. The plates are stored in remote location. But here I post some close ups

askent

''Thanks a lot Peterp for detailed reply. The plates are stored in remote location. But here I post some close ups'' what I mean I cannot take new pictures at the moment. As soon as I can  I will take and post them...

peterp

We should know if the foot rim is slanted on the outside, or straight up.

Stan

Hi Askent, We need a photo of the foot at a 45 degree angle, then can you see in the photo the outside slant and inside slant of the foot, the photo's you have now, a straight on photo dose not show this, a straight foot would be the later periods.

askent

peterp

This is confusing...
Looks like a straight-up rim, not slanted. But the decoration is similar to 18th century export porcelain. The shape would also mean it would likely be export.
Kangxi is unlikely, but I would like to ask if someone has seen a decoration all around the circumference like this?

Stan

I Cant't say that I have, esp. on Japanese porcelain.

peterp

Difficult to tell what this actually is...having someone knowledgeable to a hands-on inspection would be best to clarify the issues.
Basically, summarizing the problem with this item, there is a Kangxi style export porcelain decoration on the top side. But then, porcelain of the Qing dynasty does not usually have such an exterior decoration running all around on the underside. And, porcelain "after" the 18th century would unlikely have such an octagonal shape. On the other hand, the foot rim shape means it hardly can be from the Kangxi period or 18th century, and export porcelain also usually does not have such a mark. That means there are several items that are inconsistent with manufacture in either the early or late Qing dynasty.
Therefore, it might as well be an item made much later, perhaps in the 20th century. My personal opinion.