Blue/white Chinese(???) 14'' wide plate

Started by askent, Apr 11, 2021, 03:33:43

Previous topic - Next topic

peterp

I think what Stan wants to see is the top rim. Your close up picture shows the plate upside down and there is some glaze peeling visible along the rim. This can be natural, from usage, but with newer imitations they sometimes create the glaze peeling effect artificially, which is a common age faking technique. So what should be checked is if the peeling is all around (too much) or too regular, which may be a giveaway of fakes.

(Remark:
As a part of checking the authenticity of an item it is also necessary to check for the absence of age faking traces. In other words, the presence of certain features allows dating (only), but checking for the absence of age faking traces is also a necessity, especially when an item has the gloss and superb condition as this one.)  :)

askent

Hi Stan, Hi Peterp,Hi all:
Here are top and buttom rim close ups...I hope this will help...

Stan

Hi Askent, you're almost there, in the photo's jpg 11 and 12 on the outside of the top rim of your plate, not the chip but the areas around the rim missing the glaze, if you could take a photo of the outside rim and it needs to be clear, thanks.

askent

Hi all:
I hope I got the right picture...

Stan

The outer edge is what we want to see, but the underside of the top edge where it is missing the white glaze, thank.

peterp

You should show any blemishes, glaze faults chips or anything that is there. Instead it seems that you are showing the nice looking part of the rim only. :-)  But the above are important because they provide usage, production and age related clues. A spotless item on the other hand makes it look too pristine to be old. Giving an example,the larger chips viewable in these pictures, either on the foot rim or top rim, look new. They are not old usage signs. But in one of the photos where the plate is turned upside down, there is something that looks like glaze fritting shown. That is important and may provide clues. Unfortunately, these are not shown clearly. Best would be if that would be shown, and also their distribution along the top rim.

askent

Hi again:
Here is the buttom rim:

peterp

This is what you should show clearly (see the blue arrow). The rim frittings along the top rim, but completely invisible in your other pictures. A close-up of their color and and overview of their distribution along the circumference of the plate.

askent

Hi Peterp:
I hope Ive got it right this time:

peterp

If these rim frittings are present only in a few places, they can be natural, but of they are present around the whole circumference, then they could be man-made. The white chips on the top rim and foot rim are not from normal usage, and their color shows they are new. That means someone made them in more recent times.
Overall, the painting and glaze look pristine, but it is difficult to tell the exact age. Judging by some features the plate could be late Qing or 20th century, in my view -- if it is of Chinese origin, but again, the painting style deviates a bit from traditional styles. And, the glaze shows no patina pointing to an earlier Chinese period.
This all is based on the supposition that it was made in China. I do not know if the Japanese copied Chinese porcelain in this style and to such a degree. Stan may be in a better position to tell if it could be Japanese.

Stan

I think the mark itself, tells us that this is Japanese copying a Chinese mark, in my book on Japanese marks and seals on page 29 it shows a mark Just like this denoting the period and the words Nen and Sei, as to age this could be late Edo or early Meiji.
But the fritting that Peter missioned is a concern, if this fritting is all around the edge it could be a modern copy.