Blue/white Chinese(???) 14'' wide plate

Started by askent, Apr 11, 2021, 03:33:43

Previous topic - Next topic

askent

Hi All,

Another collection item, mint condition...What do you think???

peterp

Can you provide a closer shot of the blue decoration. Only partial is fine, but it should be so close than any blemishes or glaze faults, even the brush strokes, are visible clearly.

askent

peterp

Stan, could this be Japanese? Also on the surface of it it looks like Kangxi, the delicated floral decoration and fine lines around the mark are unusual. But, this impression could be caused by the size of this?

Stan

Hi Peter, This could be Seto ware, the single blue line on the outside of the foot, I have seen plates and chargers that are marked this way, Did the Chinese use lines like that ?. I think part of the decoration is printed, the two blue circles around the centre decoration the lines are perfectly spaced and then it is missing part of the line that has been drawn in by hand, I can see this in other parts of the decoration.

peterp

I have virtually never seen such a fine underside decoration on Kangxi ware.
So it is Seto ware?  Stan, I assume you mean Seto kiln ware and not the wider meaning of Seto ware?

(Seto ware was originally made in a place of that name, but in today's colloquial Japanese Seto ware has become a term synonymous with "porcelain".)

Stan

Thanks for correcting me, your right Seto ware could included a wide verity of porcelain ware Where as Seto kilns might narrow it down to specified items like plates or chargers. Thanks Peter.

askent

Thank you guys for detailed answers...Does this piece have any collectible value?

Stan

I like it, seems like you inherited a pretty nice collection.

askent

Hi all:
Angle view

peterp

Stan, does any Japanese porcelain have this foot rim shape?

Stan

Hi Peter, I have seen bottoms with a foot like this on 17th and early 18th century Japanese Plates but this looks to fresh, with no age signs and no ware that I can see. Sorry I did not look that close at the photo's, it looks like on the edge of the plate it looks like maybe a grinder or some kind of tooling took place it dose not look natural, a close up photo of the edge will confirm this.

askent

Hi Stan:
What edge' s close up photo do you need exactly? I dont understand...

Stan

The last two photo's you posted both is showing glaze loss on the rim of the bowl, a close up of the rim is appreciated, thanks.