Qing Celedaon Charger 16" No Mark

Started by smak, Apr 07, 2021, 23:32:51

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi All,

Need your thoughts! It does have flea bite marks, looks like Qing dynasty but I could be wrong. I'm not familiar with any celadon pieces.

Best,
Smak

smak

more

smak

more

smak

16 inches wide! Theres a few imperfections from firing.

Whats the collectors value on this? Never seen a dish this big before..

Stan

The foot and the decoration looks like late Qing or later in my opinion.

smak

Thanks Stan! I will be purchasing this plate then! Lately since that 14" Ming charger, I've been on the hunt for more charger plates! Although this one isn't as pretty, the size has drawn my attention!

Stan

Be careful Smak, there are a lot of fakes that can not be detected in just photo's, a hands on inspection is needed, just out of curiosity, are you buying this from the same person as the last one you posted?.

smak

Hi Stan,

Is it common for dishes this size? At what point do dishes start to become more of a decorative piece than actually using it for food? I can imagine 16 inches being too big, no?

Also how common is this piece, given its size?

smak

Hi Stan,

No this is a different seller, they also claim that its 19th century. But I'm not entirely sure..

peterp

This type of foot rim also exists on some 18th century large plates or chargers, but they were usually not made at a  Jingdezhen kiln. This celadon tint is often found on Daoguang wares. However those are usually plain, without any impressed decoration.  I agree with Stan that it could be later, if there weren't the glaze spots. They look natural rather than artificially added. Usually, the dating would probably be mid to late Qing, but the orange color of the foot rim probably makes it later, perhaps late Guangxu, in my opinion.

peterp

Not sure how to call this type of celadon in English, but the translation of the Chinese 豆青釉 (dou qing you) would be 'bean celadon glaze' or 'bean green glaze'. Not the white bottom...that is sometimes also celadon. The glaze usually appears either as monochrome, or combinde with underglaze blue on celadon, or in blue/white decorations on a celadon background. It also appears as background on export ware with butterfly or insect decorations, made in the Jiaqing/Daoguang period.

Refer to tinyurl.com/55tb5c79, the first about ten rows of these search results should be mostly authentic, especially those with blue or color decorations. (Ignore the monochrome jars.)

The high vases are mostly late Qing with a foot rim similar as this charger. The celadon as well white plates with underglaze blue decorations and four character marks on the bottom can also be 18th to early 19th century. However, they are not necessarily from Jingdezhen. On close inspection they often have a wider foot rim with worm back than Jingdezhen wares have, and do not usually show the orange color, which is more likely to appear in late Qing wares.

Stan

Hi Peter, I looked through my books and on the web, I could not find anything with this decoration, a Sunflower?. and thanks for the web page, I have a vase similar to one that is shown, I will post it, now that I set up my lights, for photography.

smak

Hi Peter,

For this type if plate, what was  the purpose of it? Was this actually used for eating or more decorative?

Thanks!

peterp

It would rather be a charger, not a plate for directly eating from, it seems. That means food would be distributed to or taken by the people present, rather than it being used for direct eating by individuals. There are larger ones.