Canton enamelled plates

Started by Stan, Apr 01, 2021, 07:46:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter and all, I have 8 of these plates, they are 29.7 cm in diameter, they are hand painted, the foot looks to be 18th century, I am wondering if these could have been blanks that we're decorated at a later time, the fencai enamels are fairly thick except for the red it is flat to the touch but the crimson red is fencai enamel as the rest just the red is flat. or is the decoration 18th century, I am not sure.

Stan

Here are two more photo's to view.

Stan

Here are the last two photo's to view, thanks for all your help.

Stan

Hi Peter, I looked at some other plates I have that are similar in shape and the same enamels and those plates date to the Jiaqing period, so I think I just answered my own question, but your input is always appreciated.

peterp

Yes Stan, you are right.
The foot rim points to that type of porcelain because this is made with Canton enamels, apparently. The butterfly decoration was most common in the Jiaqing-Daoguang period, but Daoguang would hardly have this foot rim.
Waah, and you have eight of them!

Stan

Thanks Peter, when I saw these at the local auction, I new they were antique and to have 8 of them in good condition is a hard find, one of them has a flea bite chip, other than that they are in very good condition, thanks again.

peterp

Hi Stan, I did not note the title, otherwise I would have posted in my previous post. For the sake of correctness it should be mentioned that Canton enamels differ from Fencai enamels. The enamels were directly imported into the foreign factories in Canton and after decoration was made they were fired in Guangzhou kiln (Canton) and then exported. They were never used in Jingdzehen or inside China, as far as I know. That means they were used only for export porcelain.
Fencai enamels on the other hand were made in China.

Stan

Hi Peter, I did read that, sorry it went in one eye and out the other, I would like to also correct the size, I got a new conversion app. and miss calculated, the cross diameter is 24.7 cm.

peterp

Hi Stan, thank you, and thanks for drawing my attention to the problem of the enamels. I put a short article into the Additional Info board so that this information can be preserved over time.